Spotting

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Spotting

Post by Ojaileveraction »

In a squad situation or in practice with compatriots I feel lacking in spotting skills.
Being self directed in learning this sport I've never seen, that I remember, any primer on spotting.
Seeing skips into the berm and calling them high could tick off some people.
Any tips or just practice at the expense of someone's score?
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Spotting

Post by cedestech »

Ojaileveraction wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm In a squad situation or in practice with compatriots I feel lacking in spotting skills.
Being self directed in learning this sport I've never seen, that I remember, any primer on spotting.
Seeing skips into the berm and calling them high could tick off some people.
Any tips or just practice at the expense of someone's score?
Unfortunately that really is the only way...

I enjoy shooting with my wife. She has come a LONG way in spotting but if I know I broke low and she calls high... I go with the fact that she is seeing splash behind the animal. Some people are excellent spotters. Some you just have to live with... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

I got a funny look from my shooter when he had his first shot, and I called window. He said "I'm on turkeys". I replied so. :))
And we are still mates.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

And every range is different I'm starting to guess, seeing pictures of the range for the State Match.
Tim
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I’m in a mood to share knowledge tonight. The fastest way to learn spotting is to shoot with a veteran who can coach you. Also learn to accept your vision’s limitations. This is a seeing game and a spotter with less than perfect eyesight can leave you guessing what happened. I’m not meaning to hurt anyone’s feelings but a spotter with acute vision is a gift. If you’ve been putting off eye exams or corrective surgery, here’s my urging to get it done.

You MUST tell the truth when you spot. If you’re not sure what you saw, say so. Anytime my spotter says “I think” I dismiss what they say because it’s a guess. Those 2 words should instill doubt in every shooters mind. Sometimes it takes a moment or 2 to process what you saw and accurately call it. Again, spot for a master class veteran shooter. They know where the shot went the instant the trigger broke and will challenge/coach your calling for you.

If you don’t have a pair of Canon 12x binoculars, GET THEM. It’s the best investment you can make in improving your and shooting partner’s score. They’re amazing, literally see bullet in flight which is vital to call rail deflection and pick up edge hit location and near misses. Freaking amazing.
- Joe
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

There is no formula for being a good spotter. The most important thing is to take it seriously and do your best. I find that trying to line up and standing directly behind the shooter and as close to his line of sight as possible helps a lot. Sitting down alongside the shooter is more comfortable but it's way more difficult to see what is going on.
Some spotters are awlful and others are fantastic. I am somewhere inbetween.
Rick
Richard
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:00 pm I’m in a mood to share knowledge tonight. The fastest way to learn spotting is to shoot with a veteran who can coach you. Also learn to accept your vision’s limitations. This is a seeing game and a spotter with less than perfect eyesight can leave you guessing what happened. I’m not meaning to hurt anyone’s feelings but a spotter with acute vision is a gift. If you’ve been putting off eye exams or corrective surgery, here’s my urging to get it done.

You MUST tell the truth when you spot. If you’re not sure what you saw, say so. Anytime my spotter says “I think” I dismiss what they say because it’s a guess. Those 2 words should instill doubt in every shooters mind. Sometimes it takes a moment or 2 to process what you saw and accurately call it. Again, spot for a master class veteran shooter. They know where the shot went the instant the trigger broke and will challenge/coach your calling for you.

If you don’t have a pair of Canon 12x binoculars, GET THEM. It’s the best investment you can make in improving your and shooting partner’s score. They’re amazing, literally see bullet in flight which is vital to call rail deflection and pick up edge hit location and near misses. Freaking amazing.
The image stabilization binoculars? Agreed 1000%. We bought the 10X and it's the best investment in shooting I think we've made. Had ours for about 2 years now and LOVE them.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Agreed that if you are spotting and you are not 100% sure where the hit was... say so.

AND... if your call differs from the shooters don't argue it during the fire period. That shot is gone and they need to get on with the next one....
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I sure agree with what edgehit and richard are saying. On another note, the shooter has some responsibility in this also. If you are the shooter and you are not able to call your shots with some degree of accuracy you are in a position to set yourself up for frustration. This frustrated me many times as a shooter and the best resolution to my issue was practicing on paper targets so I could see the hits for sure and get better at calling my shots.

If you are a shooter who can call shots and you have a decent serious spotter, the shots that are just a little high or a little low can be tough. Close misses are tough especially if the spotter is watching hits on the berm--and even a little wind blowing the dust on the berm can cause questions.

As a shooter it's a mental thing and if the spotter calls a high shot and if I can call my shot accurately and I'm sure the shot was low, I resolve it in my mind and go with my call----which for sure is sometimes wrong...HA!, but I stick with being confident, learning how to call my shots better and moving on.

For sure good optics where you can see the bullet trace help.

As a spotter, I stick with the comments 100% above that stated "if you don't know, say you don't know".
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

A peg in a spotter board beats any amount of conversation about where the shot hit, and does not annoy the shooters next to you.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

jnyork wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:38 am A peg in a spotter board beats any amount of conversation about where the shot hit, and does not annoy the shooters next to you.
You've obviously never shot next to the Stiegers... Or Gabby Jones.... =))
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I’ve shot next to the Stiegers and Gabby many times. I must be missing something. :-?? Must be a Texas thang.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Speaking of pegs.
A guy had a 6x6 vinal coated steel board that used a small magnet.
Very transportable no clip board needed.
Tim
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

If you don’t have a pair of Canon 12x binoculars, GET THEM. It’s the best investment you can make in improving your and shooting partner’s score.
So your saying I should get a rich partner first?
$600 could be a nice rifle.
Tim
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Ojaileveraction wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 pm

If you don’t have a pair of Canon 12x binoculars, GET THEM. It’s the best investment you can make in improving your and shooting partner’s score.
So your saying I should get a rich partner first?
$600 could be a nice rifle.
Worth every penny.