Hodgdon .357 Magnum Reloading Data

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Hodgdon .357 Magnum Reloading Data

Post by Sporty »

I'm confused by the Hodgdon website reloading data for Titegroup with the .357 Magnum 158 gn HDY XTP bullet with a 10" barrel (pistol) vs an 18.5" barrel (rifle). Why does the muzzle velocity go up with the 10" barrel (1135/1229 fps min/max) compared to the 18.5" barrel (1035/1184 fps min/max)?

Their reloading data for the 158 gn Cast LSWC bullet velocity increases, as expected, from the 10" barrel (1028/1108 fps min/max) to the 18.5" barrel (1157/1220 fps min/max).

I sent Hodgdon a message asking for an explanation.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Hodgdon .357 Magnum Reloading Data

Post by edgehit »

Lead bullets have lower bore friction than copper jacketed bullets. Be observant when reducing powder charges under copper bullets in a rifle barrel. Copper bullets can and do get stuck in rifle barrels when reducing powder charges below minimums.
- Joe
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

edgehit wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:16 pm Lead bullets have lower bore friction than copper jacketed bullets. Be observant when reducing powder charges under copper bullets in a rifle barrel. Copper bullets can and do get stuck in rifle barrels when reducing powder charges below minimums.
Thanks. Others have recently told me that too and it answers my other question in the "More newbie reloader questions" post. I'm still confused why Hodgdon reversed what I commonly assume that a rifle barrel will result in higher velocity than a pistol barrel given the same bullet and same powder charge.

Please note the 158 gn XTP is listed second in the rifle load and listed first with the pistol load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Fast powder burns out in a few inches. Top velocity reached quicker. Slower burning powder continues to develop additional velocity with an increase in the length of the barrel. TG is a quick burning powder. Also burns hot as hell. For the same basic results at a much lower temperature try Solo 1000. Smells better too.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer