Long vs Short Barrels

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Long vs Short Barrels

Post by ChuckD »

I usually shoot 26" barreled rifles for CF lever action silhouette. But my experience has been that the longer sight radius at 200 yards isn't a big deal. Wondering about the ballistic advantage- is there any with the extra barrel length and a 30-30 at 200 yards?
Thinking is there any real advantage in a Winchester 94 with a 26" barrel vs a Marlin 336 with a 20" barrel at 200 yards.

thanks
chuck
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Long vs Short Barrels

Post by BrentD »

The longer barrel balances and holds much better for me.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

The longer barrels seem to me to be a bit easier to steady shooting from off hand than the carbines.
My chronograph said there's around 150 fps difference in velocity between the 20 in and 24-26 inch barrels on my winchesters.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

ChuckD wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:22 am I usually shoot 26" barreled rifles for CF lever action silhouette. But my experience has been that the longer sight radius at 200 yards isn't a big deal. Wondering about the ballistic advantage- is there any with the extra barrel length and a 30-30 at 200 yards?
Thinking is there any real advantage in a Winchester 94 with a 26" barrel vs a Marlin 336 with a 20" barrel at 200 yards.

thanks
chuck
Weight/recoil.... having shot both with similar loads I can 100% testify that the heavy ass 26" octagon barreled 94 takes A LOT of the starch out of factory loads...

Main reason I shoot one.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I shoot 26" because cedestech does. That's all the reason I long for.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

cedestech has a 30-incher. I've seen it. He has a name for it that frightens me.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

DJA wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm cedestech has a 30-incher. I've seen it. He has a name for it that frightens me.

You mean Big Black? No worries... can’t get him to shoot... but damn, does it hold well... same groups off hand as on the bag.... just not small enough.... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Emmett that looks like a Uberti whats it chambered for?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

45 Colt... name it, I’ve tried it... barrel has a loose spot in the middle and it just won’t get down to sub 2MOA... holds beautifully though...