2018 Lever Action Rules Change

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

2018 Lever Action Rules Change

Post by TheBugFather »

Just thought I would put this back into this forum.

Sorry I've been a sleep, too much chips and salsa, just read this whole thread, Wow :-o

In regards to the rear sight lens, I'm opposed to the change, I think the rear lens should be allowed, as it doesn't produce a magnified effect or advantage to the shooter. It just allows the shooter to see more like a younger shooter. The front lens, I agree shouldn't be allowed, because it, with a rear lens, could produce a magnified scope effect.

I personally don't use a rear lens, nor do I intended to any time in the future. If someone could help me with my astigmatism, that would be great!

I do know that if this rule is enforced at the nationals, I personally know of a number of shooters who will not be able to attend the nationals. As well as state and regional matches that will enforce this rule.

It all seems a little silly, this rule change has not only increased the chance of losing more shooters in the near term, but it also looks like people are trying to create a whole new class of scoped lever rifle to replace them.

Seems like IHMSA all over again too, Our club lost the NRA Handgun Silhouette Nationals that we hosted for many many years, over this same issue. Most of you know were that sport is now, just a footnote in silhouette history. We had as many as 800 shooters at a Nationals way back in the day (I've been told).

To me, it seems to be simpler to just let the lens use in the rear sight back into the game. If glasses at the store or eye doctor helps them, great. If glasses in the rear sight helps them, also great, same effect. People can now see the "Big" targets again without magnification, and we can all go back to shooting like before... the simple game of lever action rifle that was started to let the average person with a old lever action rifle at home gathering dust to come out and shoot and have fun.

Just saying, Dennis Ostler

Where did I put my chips?
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 2018 Lever Action Rules Change

Post by TheBugFather »

Also, I’m neither for or against a new category of scoped lever silhouette rifle.

We just have to look hard and long at it, and more than just a chip throwing match on social media.
We must go through the process of local and regional test matches for years, just like lever action did. There is a lot of baggage that comes with essentially a new silhouette sport. Trophies, rules, nationals, etc.

Silhouette sports sometimes also have an additive and sometimes a vampire effect on other silhouette sports.

We need to be very careful.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.