Hyper Velocity Ammo - what speed?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Hyper Velocity Ammo - what speed?

Post by snaketail2 »

I'm fully aware that fast moving .22 ammo is not as accurate as Standard Velocity. But I'm wondering where is the cut-off for Hyper Velocity ammo - What FPS constitutes Hyper?

And while we're at it - could I use Stingers in Pistol Cartridge?

I'm quite happy with Norma Tac22, but sometimes I push the rules and want to be sure I don't get disqualified for using "too fast" ammo.

Michael

PS: Footwear - I'm switching to Converse All Stars - about as flat as I can get.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Hyper Velocity Ammo - what speed?

Post by Jason »

There's no official NRA definition that I've ever seen and no standard published industry standard, but ammo labeling seems to group anything of 1300fps or higher as "hyper" velocity. That's the rule that I use as a match director at my range for the smallbore matches, and what we also use as the definition for smallbore cowboy rifle/hunter pistol matches.

To answer your second question, yes you can use Stingers in pistol cartridge matches but you don't want to. Those lightweight bullets are terrible at knocking down the heavier targets, regardless of their higher velocity. They will be much less reliable than even most 40-grain high velocity ammo. If you want to slightly increase your chance of knocking down the pistol cartridge targets using a 22LR rifle, you can try the 40-grain "hyper" velocity ammo like Velocitors. They also tend to shoot more accurately than the lightweight, super-fast ammo like Stingers.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Most "good" chambers won't even chamber the Stinger© ammo. I have 2 Ruger 77/22s that won't take them. Even my 10/22T won't take them but my 10/22 carbine will.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I happen to have a CCI catalog and it lists the Velocitor ammo at 107 fp of energy @100 yards. The Stinger ammo clocks in at 91 fp of energy @100 yards.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member