Tang peep sight vs tang vernier sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
bitterbeer
B Poster
B Poster

Tang peep sight vs tang vernier sight

Post by bitterbeer »

Just starting out shooting lever action silhouette with my Winchester 94 in 38-55 with the stock tang peep sight. Each click is .4 of an inch at 100 yards so , it seems quite a few clicks from the chickens to the rams with no marking's. I could definitely write down what I need to adjust for each. I was wondering if any out there have moved up to a vernier sight which has better markings for elevation and windage. Of course plain good ol'fashioned shooting wins out over both but curious on thoughts.

Rich
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Tang peep sight vs tang vernier sight

Post by DonM »

You will still need to keep notes on the sight settings, but with a vernier sight repeatability is more certain.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I can't imagine anything that can be better than a vernier scale tang sight on lever rifle that needs to be zeroed for multiple, known distances. Getting the right one set up on your rifle correctly can be a bit of a chore, but worth it in the end.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I had considered putting a tang sight on my Henry Big Boy .357 brass receiver, but I did not know if the tang sight would interfer with the placement of my right hand.
I have never shot a tang sight, how close is the tang sight to the shooter's eye. Is it far enough away to shoot comfortably, without causing any problem with head and eye placement?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Ken,
Not having a Henry, I can't really answer your questions, unfortunately.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Ken Green wrote:I had considered putting a tang sight on my Henry Big Boy .357 brass receiver, but I did not know if the tang sight would interfer with the placement of my right hand.
I have never shot a tang sight, how close is the tang sight to the shooter's eye. Is it far enough away to shoot comfortably, without causing any problem with head and eye placement?
Thumb goes on the right side - not over the top. Feels strange at first, but is actually a better hold for a lever gun.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

snaketail2 wrote:
Thumb goes on the right side - not over the top. Feels strange at first, but is actually a better hold for a lever gun.
Michael

That
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I kind of figured that the thumb would be placed on the left side of the grip. That is a natural position for the right handed shooter.
I was referring to the position of the tang sight. I did not know if the tang sight would let me get my hand up high enough on the grip to be comfortable and to have a secure grip. Ken
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I put my thumb across the top on all of my Marlins.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:
snaketail2 wrote:
Michael

That
....definitely works better(for some of us).

The human opposable thumb is a remarkable product of evolution of the hand freeing from walking requirements....

Unfortunately, what makes it so remarkable, for some of us, also causes us to involuntarily, sunconciously, or symbiotically move BOTH the thumb and trigger finger when our intent is to move only the trigger finger. A/k/a - issues with Independent Control of Human Finger-Tip Forces at Individual Digits, particularly when used in opposing fashions.

Think about how often we daily use them in an opposing geometry, such as when we pick up berries, small parts, write with a pen/pencil, shake hands, or in the rifle's example; grip, place, or wrap the thumb around the grip (over the top tang). For those of us afflicted with the programming to move both the thumb and the finger when placed in opposing manner, it is much better to simply lay the thumb alongside (and parallel) to the grip. This usually breaks the symbiotic/subconscious tendency to move the thumb when we intend to only move the finger.

Just my .02, with supporting research provided by Edin BB, Westling G, and Johansson RS. i-)

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

What Tim said!
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thumb over the top of the tang, just like if it didn't have the tang sight. Consistent gun hand grip is important to keeping accuracy. Resting your thumb along side the tang makes a consistent grip a hard thing to manage.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Tim thanks for that info. I've never thought about it like that before. It would definitely explain why I'm always pulling the gun off the target. :ymcowboy:
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Another Dang 9 wrote:Tim thanks for that info. I've never thought about it like that before. It would definitely explain why I'm always pulling the gun off the target. :ymcowboy:
Only took me about 8-9 years to figure it out... And the person that pointed out was, of all things, a Physical Therapist with a very sharp eye... He noticed it one day in a video I showed him of our different rifle stances when I was trying to figure out what stance would aggravate my back issues the least. He noticed a very slight twisting motion in the rifle just before the shot broke, that was apparently my thumb pressure opposing the trigger pull.

DonM.... IMO, everyone's grip requirement is slightly different.... And I'm not about to say that this works for everyone. Lord knows it is a semi-unnatural feeling when you 1st try it if you've decades of gripping a stock like you're gonna give someone a vigorous handshake. I've seen folks shoot well with a white knuckle death grip on the stock, and then others' (like mine, NOW) where the rifle was literally resting bridged between their shoulder, cheek, and off hand support where about the only pressure from the triggering hand was the trigger finger pressure itself. Yes, this results in the CLA gun reacting more with recoil, but for some folks, it IS still more consistent (and it's not like we're shooting a 30/06 or larger who's recoil would cause the rifle to be hard to control).

Just my .02, YMMV, it may not work for all, etc, :-@

-Tim
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

One other caveat I'll bring up which only applies to high recoil (30-30) center fire lever guns... I found my thumb bumping up against my nose during recoil... doesn't help with flinch control.... YMMV...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?