Thinking about getting an 1873 in 357 Mag...

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Thinking about getting an 1873 in 357 Mag...

Post by Jason »

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback on this thread and the others I had on reloading and sights. I'm overall very happy with how everything has turned out with the rifle. I bought a Cimarron and, while it still needs some more trigger work, the rest of the rifle is working great. At our last local monthly match, I cleaned all ten pistol cartridge rams and was feeling pretty confident.

We had put a chicken out on the ram line during sight-in and no one had knocked it off during sight-in or after shooting their banks of rams. With my confidence high, I mentioned to the match director and everyone else that I was going to take that chicken out along with all those rams. Sure enough, I had a good trigger break with the front bead centered on the chicken and it flew right off the rail. I'm not sure I could do it again, especially with the rifle still needing a bit more trigger work to be perfect, but I'm definitely confident of the rifle and load's ability to do their part. I have enough components to load up another thousand of that load I used and might just grab another thousand of those 125-grain Hornady XTP FP bullets while they're available. With my luck with past rifles and great loads, at least one of the components becomes unavailable within a few days after I discover the load... :lol:
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Thinking about getting an 1873 in 357 Mag...

Post by cedestech »

In case you haven't figured it out yet, cock the hammer before cycling the action and it uses much less effort. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?