Sights for a Henry .357 big boy

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Sights for a Henry .357 big boy

Post by Ken Green »

What sights can I use on my Henry 357 Big Boy rifle? The regular Williams rear sight will not work. I thought about just trying the sights that comes on the rifle. I looked at the Skinner sights but not sure about them being easy to adjust. Thanks Ken
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Sights for a Henry .357 big boy

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Ken my wife and I both shoot henry big boy steels. I put williams fp336tk on both with Lyman globe front sights. The height is up to you. Try it with the factory front sight. You should have a chicken setting at zero when bottomed out.
For loads I use 125 berry fp with 6.5 grains n320 with wspm primers in mine and same weight and powder with xtps in my wife's. When I run out of n320 I will be using tight group and will load 5.5 grains for the 6.5 load is a bit hot for the berry but no sign of damage to the plating. I like magnum primers to be sure of good ignitiation of powder.
I have 1 inch 10 shot groups with this combo. This load works on all animals in PC and through turkeys in cla. I load a 180 Sierra jsp for rams. This is a new load and will be trying it next week. You made the right choice in the henry at half the price of a used winchester or marlin.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Thanks for the information. This past weekend, Cabela's had their employee discount pricing for club members. With that discount, plus another discount for being a vet and the club points that I had, I got a pretty good deal on the Henry. :-bd

I will be looking at different loads when I get time to put some rounds together. Thanks for the load data. I need to get some different powders. I will probably pickup some Green Dot, HP38, tite group, Unique, 700X. I will have a variety of powders to try.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

How does the williams fp336tk sight mount to the Henry Big Boy rifle? Could you post a picture of the sight mounted on your rifle?
Who carries the Williams FP336TK rear sight?
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Two screws on top were a scope base would mount. You can order from midway who has the sight without target knobs. Knobs can be ordered from Brownell. I replaced the gibs lock and the elevation screws. The gibs lock screw will have to be cut to work. Cost should be about 85.00 total.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I need help finding an adjustable receiver sight that I can mount on by Henry .357 Big Boy with the brass receiver for lever action silhouette. I spoke with Alex at Williams Gunsites. He does not make a sight for the Big Boy with the brass receiver. He told he that the Big Boy Steel receiver is not as wide as the brass receiver. He not me that the Marlin FP 336 sight would not work on the brass receiver because of the brass receiver being thicker.

Does any know if Lyman makes a sight that will fit the Big Boy brass receiver?

Has any body ever used a Marbles Tang sight? does it get in the way of your hand gripping the rifle? Thanks Ken
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

tnchicknsnipr: Could you measure the thickness of the Big Boy steel receiver? The thickness of the Big Boy Brass receiver is 1.080. I am curious of the difference between the two receivers. I am curious if the williams fp336tk sight would mount and work on the Big Boy Brass receiver. Thanks Ken
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Ken, sorry I did not ask which big boy you have .I forgot about the brass frame. I saw that the big boy golden is drilled and tapped on top.
My big boy steel has a frame thickness of 1.030. I looked and the sight is close but I can get a piece of notebook paper between them easily and folded over with a little tighter fit. Is the golden drilled and tapped on the left side for a lyman or redfield ? Someone was shooting one this weekend and they had a lyman mounted on the rifle.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

They were shooting the Big Boy with the Brass receiver?

Do you know which Lyman sight they had mounted on their rifle?

My brass receiver is not drilled and taped on the side. I really don't want to put any extra holes in the side of the receiver.

I would need between .025 and .030 of clearance between the left side of the brass receiver and the left part of the rear sight for the Williams 336 sight to fit.

With the Williams 336 mounted on your rifle, and the rear apature in the sighted in position, how much extra windage can you move your rear apature to the right?

I was thinking about making a base plate and mounting it to the top of the receiver of my rifle. Then I could drill and tap 2 new holes in the new base plate just to the left of center for the Williams 336 and then move the apature more to the right to have it centered and ready to sight in.
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Ken as I get older I get more forgetful. A couple we shoot with have big boys in 357 . He mounted a williams for the 336. It is tight but will work. They tried tang sights and did not like them. They take a bit of getting use to. Take a look at a sight for a contender it maybe a little wider. When I get time I will measure my contender and see if it will work.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I already ordered the Williams for the 336 and the Williams like I have on my Henry Frontier. I plan on buying at least 1 or maybe 2 more Henry rifles later on. Now I can just put up the sight that I don't use for one of the other rifles. :D
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

The Williams 336 peep site is a couple .001 of an inch to narrow to set on a Henry Big Boy. You can jam it on there but it will be katiwhompus.
I took a file to the corner of the mount a made it fit
20170614_123401.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

tnchicknsnipr : What was the Lyman front globe height and model to match up with the fp336tk Williams . I am leaning towards a H012 .357 Big Boy steel. Thank you.
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

I use the second tallest. I think it was .454 could be .494. If it goes on a barrel with dovetail . Watch out on loads to fast and you could bottom out on chickens. That's a problem I had. Plus if you use a 1 inch rear app your trigger may not clear. This is the same set up my wife uses.
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

What area of velocity would be to fast ? I would like to center my loads around a 125grn lead mostly then jacketed.

I have read that CCI small rifle primers can be used as a substitute for mag small pistol even with the slight shorter cup length and thicker material. I have a ton of them for some new Starline brass :D