44Mag in PC-Subsonic vs Super Sonic with cast bullets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

44Mag in PC-Subsonic vs Super Sonic with cast bullets

Post by gregw72 »

I currently shoot smallbore hunter and standard class silhouette and got a 1894 44 Mag to try out in pistol cartridge lever action silhouette cause it looks like so much fun. From what I can tell, it doesn't take a whole lot of energy to knock over a PC Ram at 100 especially with guys at my club using 22Mags. My question for you reloaders who are using cast bullets is whether you get better accuracy at 100 using subsonic or supersonic loads. My thinking is that subsonic in 22LR drifts less and my ballistics calculator says the 44Mag should behave the same. I will be using a Marlin 1894 and it appears that I need .431" or .432" cast bullets as Marlin sized their barrels at .4315" and SAAMIs list the 44mag rifle cartridge at .431". Would love to know your favorite bullet weights and powders. Was planning to use HS-6 as I have a lot of that on hand, but will be willing to get something else if it is better. Thanks!
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: 44Mag in PC-Subsonic vs Super Sonic with cast bullets

Post by frankmako »

the marlin 44 mag will make a great cla pc rifle. several years ago i used a marlin 1894 in 44 mag for pc. worked real well for me. at first i used some 270 gr cast lead gas check and fmj pistol silhouette loads that i made in the 80's for a ruger super blackhawk. but they were to hot for me in the rifle and over kill on the targets. i like a easy shooting load. so i came up with several easy shooting/great grouping cast lead and plated loads. bullets used were 270 gr cast lead gas check, speer 240 gr fmj silhouette bullet, 240 gr cast lead gas check, 240 gr cast lead, and 240 gr plated. powder used is 2400 for 270 cgc and 240 fmj bullets. unique for all other 240 gr bullets. i dropped the 2400 powder loads and went with the unique powder loads. the 240 gr cast lead /cast lead gas check i end up dropping 8.0 grs of unique for a average of approximately 1,127 fps. for the 240 gr plated i drop 9 grs for 1,158 fps. i used the 240 gr plated x-treme bullet for matches. i sized all cast lead bullets at 0.431 and had no leading. but i need to try some 0.432 and 0.433 size bullets. i used standard large pistol primers, what ever brand i had out that day. i need to chronograph and group test some 240 gr cast lead with 9.0 unique to see if i can pull the group in at the rams. slug your barrel and go one size up from the slug size for proper bullet fit. you can also try two sizes up. if you are leading the barrel you have the wrong size cast lead bullet, wrong powder (too hot melting the bullet base), and/or running it to fast. slug your barrel, use a chronograph, pick your bullet type, collect many different load data information, start at the low end, and work up. my load might not work for you so do your own work to get your load.