Small bore Ammo?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Small bore Ammo?

Post by ChuckD »

I've only shot Auto Match and a bit of CCI SV in my SB lever guns. I am pretty consistent with 18-19 hits for 20 shots on chicken paper target, and the misses are called. Seems to be a decent group for offhand also.
Wondering if better ammo will make a difference in my scores. This game is about the Indian, but good arrows always can help, to a point.

Is it worth trying better ammo or just keep practicing with the Fed?

Thanks
chuck
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Small bore Ammo?

Post by Merlin »

I shoot carbon fiber arrows from my longbow.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Small bore anything... ammo test and shoot what ever gives you the best group size for the dollar/availability....

Personally, I shoot Aguila SV or CCI SV in my lever guns average 1-ish " at 50 yards iron sights, ELEY Club in my small bore rifle, averages 1-ish" at 100 yards...

Could I shoot Tenex or R50 and get better group sizes? Probably. Would I be able to shoot as much with the ammo costing twice to 4 times more? No. Would my scores go up? No.

YMMV.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

My opinion only...
If you are a beginning shooter then buy good ammo by the case and just shoot.
When you start getting YOU all lined out, bench the gun with a scope on it and try different ammo. They all seem to be different.

I was almost ready to reline, sell, throw in the pond one of my Marlin 39a's. I had tried CCI SV, Federal match...then I tried SK rifle match....totally different gun now.

Jeanne's pet 39 LOVES CCI SV and groups like a shotgun with SK Rifle.

I think good ammo that gives you confidence in your equipment MAY give you an animal or two that you might have missed....and Confidence is a great ally on the line.
Just Be Nice **==
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

glen ring wrote:My opinion only...

<<snip I think good ammo that gives you confidence in your equipment MAY give you an animal or two that you might have missed....and Confidence is a great ally on the line. >>snip
What Glen says about confidence is so important...Confidence IS a great ally on the line. Once you take the time to sit down at the range and get (and write down) definite and accurate settings at all the target positions along with trying several different types of ammunition and finding a brand your gun loves you WILL shoot better. In my case it made several animals different as well as reducing the angst factor considerably (I am a textbook type A personality) . The game became lot more fun for me when I knew my equipment and ammo was dialed in......

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Testing SB ammo is the way to go, but lately with diminished supplies that's tough to do.
I always test for my scope guns at 100 meters. Any distance less is not a true test. I used to shoot Eley Club in my scope guns, but when the price went north of my wallet I switched to SK Plus. If I was able to get test lots I could usually find some that would shoot 3/4 inch groups in my 1710 Anschutz. Then I would buy several cases of that lot.
Lately I have been buying untested, and have still gotten some really good groups. The ones that aren't as good I use for practice ammo.
Testing in a lever Gun is a little tricky if you can't mount a scope on it. My old 39A's are in that group. What I do then is shoot 6 o'clock at a SR1 target at 50 meters. Then when I get good results I'll bench shoot at a ram swinger aiming at the hole in the horn. If I get a good group around the hole I'm good to go. Sometimes I get less than 5 shots showing on the horn, I figure they went through the hole.
Next year when I come to Phoenix I might bring my 1710 and go to the Lapua facility and test ammo there. Typically if it shoots good in my Anschutz it will shoot in my 39A's.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

One reason for using Fed AutoMatch id the extra zing in the FPS. will regular SV ammo reliably take down Rams?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I can only speak for myself but have never lost a properly hit SMALLBORE ram with standard velocity ammo....

If my rifle shot high velocity MORE accurately then standard velocity I'd shoot it. I'll take accuracy over anything.
ChuckD wrote: . will regular SV ammo reliably take down Rams?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

At most ranges I shoot at SV 22 ammo is great. If you can't afford to lose an animal use 1200 fps ammo.
Just Be Nice **==
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Merlin wrote:I shoot carbon fiber arrows from my longbow.

Me Too!
I'd like to shoot wood, but carbon is just so much easier.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

ChuckD wrote:One reason for using Fed AutoMatch id the extra zing in the FPS. will regular SV ammo reliably take down Rams?
I have seen thin SBCR rams lost/rang at both my local club and Raton. It does happen MUCH more frequently when using Standard Velocity than with High Velocity ammo. It is also usually when the wind is to the backside of the targets and the hits were well centered. The problem is MUCH worse with Hunter Pistol firearms than with the Cowboy Rifles... I saw a guy center hit (and ring) 4 rams in a row one day with his Hunter Pistol setup using Wolf Target 22LR ammo. He moved over to the rump and all hits fell, albeit slowly.

I've actually seen at least one SBCR ram per year not fall at the last 3-4 nationals in Raton, even using High Velocity ammo (either AutoMatch or MiniMags)... A couple with me, and a few other incidents were when spotting for others.

-Tim
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

CCI Select @ 1200fps takes em down for me. I also sometimes use the CCI SV but our club uses the heavier PC targets on chickens, pigs and turkeys and the SV ammo sometimes does not do the job whereas the 1200fps Select does it every time..... The rams are standard weight and mostly fall with the standard velocity ammunition. So far - I have yet to ring a ram with the high speed even with a wind from the rear holding the targets on the rail......

The high speed ammo also shoots a little better than the standard speed in my Uberti 1866 Yellowboy Sporting Rifle.

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have seen quite a few of our smallbore cowboy rams stay standing when hit with standard velocity ammo over the years. It seems to happen more with the Wolf/SK ammo since it's usually a little slower and seems to really slow down below about 40 degrees. It happened to me often enough that I don't even test standard velocity ammo in my smallbore cowboy rifles anymore. With our matches commonly being won by a score of 36/40 or higher, I can't afford to lose even one or two rams.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I've never lost a SB ram in this game. And I've shot targets in OK, TX, AZ, and NM. There's been plenty of wind to deal with as well. I suppose karma will catch up with me now. :roll:

I've used Eley Club, CCI STD, SK STD+, CCI mini mags, Eley Yellow, Force, Federal Champion, and Air Force surplus.. All State matches were shot with target ammo like Club and SK. I got my pistol cartridge grand slam by shooting rams with SB gun and Eley yellow box.

Shoot what you have at 100 yds on paper to see how it groups. Then select what prints the best for you. If you're really picky, chronograph the shots. Target ammo always shoots better than HV stuff. It bucks the wind better too.

In a Marlin 39 you need a fat bullet like SK and Mini Mags. Get a micrometer and you'll see what I mean by fat. And by the way, all bullets aren't round either. That eliminates Aguila and a couple others.

Glen is right. When you find what works, get a case of 5,000 rounds.
- Joe
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote:

In a Marlin 39 you need a fat bullet like SK and Mini Mags. Get a micrometer and you'll see what I mean by fat. And by the way, all bullets aren't round either. That eliminates Aguila and a couple others.

Glen is right. When you find what works, get a case of 5,000 rounds.
THAT^^^^

Have you tried the new Aguila standard velocity? Actually shoots better then CCI SV in wifes Henry and my 66.

I have a 15000 round stash right now.... find something that shoots well, invest in it.

:)