Aiming with CB rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Aiming with CB rifle

Post by ChuckD »

So being a former HP shooter, its all about the front sight for me. All I need is a rough reference for the target, blurry not a problem. And it may be scoped shooters, but most talk about picking a small spot and shoot it. I pick the bottom of the animal (belly) and hold the post there. I adjust the sights for mid body, so its the 6:00 hold I've done for 25 years.

How do you folks hold/sight? want to make this my first serious, 100% season at this, warm weather here in NH tomorrow and despite 24" of fresh new snow, I'm starting practice!

Thanks
chuck
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Aiming with CB rifle

Post by Jason »

I use the middle size post and bead Lee Shaver insert in my Lyman 17a front sight, and use an adjustable aperture for my rear sight that I turn down to make that front sight bead very clear. Then I use that bead just like a dot reticle in a scope. I actually concentrate on the point on the target that I want to hit and try to break the shot as the dot hits that spot, just like I do in the scoped rifle silhouette matches.

We had a couple shooters use round apertures in our cowboy match today. Byron was one of them and shot very well with it. I think he shot a 36/40 in the smallbore cowboy match and a 38/40 in the pistol cartridge cowboy match.