Arizona/Utah matches?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Arizona/Utah matches?

Post by DonM »

If things work out with the weather, we are planning to visit friends and relatives around St. George, Quartzite, Yuma, and Sierra Vista. Plan is to leave here shortly after the 15th of Feb, and do the travel/visiting thing culminating with going to the 1000 yd. bptr match in Phoenix March 9.
So I'm wondering about Levergun matches in that short time frame, and whether or not to pack along rifles and ammo..
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Arizona/Utah matches?

Post by Bob259 »

Lever Gun Matches, around the time you'll be here at Ben Avery, are on; the AZ State Lever Gun Championships are on Feb, 10 (Rifle Claiber), 11 (Pistol Cartridge), 12 (Smallbore) also March 18th then April 22nd. Start at 9AM
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thanks Bob.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Additionally there are lever gun matches scheduled to Three Points in Tucson on 2/25, 3/25, 4/22 and at Rio Salado in Apache Junction on 2/5 and 4/2. However, for both Three Points and Rio Salado I would check the calendar prior to driving there as they are subject to change. Dan
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thanks Dan
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Dan, are you shooting at Rio Salado on Sunday?

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Hi Al, That is my intention. Normally only shoot one gun there, as he usually holds 3 relays and I'm too lazy to run back a forth too much. It's a pretty unstructured match. There are 10 of each animal set up, with pistol cartridge adjacent to the smallbore animals and rifle caliber to the west on the same range. Will you be here? Dan
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Dan. I'm here now. I just found out I can shoot Sunday at Avery at the pistol match. That's closer so I might just go there.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Sounds good Al. Wife and I should be to Ben Avery sometime on Wednesday, 2/8. See you there. Dan
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Al, don't know if you realized it or not, but as that is primarily a handgun match, it is shot a bit differently. From the animal you start on you proceed to the next animal on the next relay and so on for all four animals. Thus there is no break between animals and you may find that your centerfire(s) get quite hot unless you find a shooting partner and alternate animals with him/her. May not be too bad this time of year, but in the warmer months it can be brutal. Dan
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Dan, yes I know how they run the match. Jeanie told me they don't shoot the big guns. I just need some practice before next weekend. Remember I live in Pa and we don't get to shoot all winter. Also We are having a super bowl party so I need to be back early. Randy Ent and I will be there on Wed. also. See you then.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member