Front Sight For 39A?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Front Sight For 39A?

Post by MOTO VITA »

I shoot CLA SB part time, with dad's old Marlin. I have a Williams rear sight with target knobs, with the original (I presume) front sight and have decided the front bead is too large, I use a six o clock hold and the bead doesn't fit between the legs of the pigs and rams. My first thought is to get a smaller bead, but I wonder about using a post or something else. I don't have any experience with target sights to draw from, I'm just a hunter so the bead is what I'm used to. I don't feel I need the absolute trickest equipment out there and prefer to keep it simple and learn how to shoot it.
What do you guys suggest.
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Front Sight For 39A?

Post by twidpa »

Lyman 17A, shortest one if you are leaving the ramp on. You will then have the same set up that most folks shoot.
T
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

As said in the other comment you want a Lyman 17a front site. You will need a .404 high for it. The site will come with some inserts but if you do not like the there is a Lee Shaver card that you can get from Brownells with different options. The site will not fit your ramp and you will have to do a little fitting. Hope this helps Mike
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

MOTO VITA wrote:I'm just a hunter so the bead is what I'm used to. I don't feel I need the absolute trickest equipment out there and prefer to keep it simple and learn how to shoot it.
What do you guys suggest.
MOTO stick with what you are familiar with. In the long run you will do better with it. Switching from what works to "something better" can cost money you don't need to spend. Buy more ammo and have fun with it. Time spent practicing is worth more than all the gizmos out there. IMO.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Another Dang 9 is probably right, although the majority CLA shooters seem to use the Lyman 17 mentioned previously. The bead insert that comes with it is about the same size as the stock front sight bead. The Lee Shaver card has an assortment of various inserts that include different sized round/square apertures, and 2 smaller post beads. Both are smaller than the stock bead. One is tiny, and I'd call the other one a medium bead. With the medium bead, you can see the animal legs with a 6 o'clock hold.

For the Marlin 39A, the .404" tall Lyman 17AHB sight is the one you want. It's taller than the stock sight so you will need the optional longer elevation target knob for your williams rear sight from Brownells. It's slightly too long for a center mass hold so I ground it slightly shorter to zero at 40 meters. It may be fine for a 6 o'clock hold. A Gib lock knob is also a great addition that eliminates the need for a screwdriver for elevation changes. Really speeds things up. It will also need to be shortened to fit the Williams FP-39.

Brownell part nos. & prices:

Lyman 17AHB - 539-017-360WB - $39.95
Lee Shaver inserts - 781-100-017WB - $21.95
Williams Long Elevation screw - 962-157-240WB - $7.99
Williams Gib Lock Knob - 962-000-079WB - $8.99

All told, you are looking at about $80.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

Thanks guys, I do have the gib lock knob on my Williams.
Tell me what benefit(s) the Lyman 17A sight offers assuming I'm using it with a smaller bead vs using a smaller bead on my stock ramp. I'm not crazy about the idea of running my rear sight substantially higher. Remember my lack of experience with target sights.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

MOTO VITA wrote:Thanks guys, I do have the gib lock knob on my Williams.
Tell me what benefit(s) the Lyman 17A sight offers assuming I'm using it with a smaller bead vs using a smaller bead on my stock ramp. I'm not crazy about the idea of running my rear sight substantially higher. Remember my lack of experience with target sights.
The Lee Shaver 17A inserts have beads that are smaller than any standard front sight bead.