30-30

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

30-30

Post by DonM »

What's you're preference for bullets, cast or jacketed?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 30-30

Post by glen ring »

cast bullets are cheap, fun to mold and can be loaded down to very light loads...In my four 30-30 rifles jacketed bullets are more accurate.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'd agree with Glen here. I like the idea of casting my own bullets, but I don't have much extra time now with my kids all having their own sports for me to attend, so I try to minimize the loading time and maximize the shooting time. Jacketed bullets are easier to make accurate loads from for me, so I have to spend less time working up loads or cleaning out lead from barrels. I don't shoot any cast bullets in my Marlin 336A in 30-30 for CLA anymore.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

My rifles all like the Speer jacketed bullets really well, and surprisingly enough the model 30 I had reamed to 30-30 ai shoots cast better than my winchesters. I cast the 311291 from #2 alloy.
Giving the Nationals some serious consideration.Just wondering if there's a noticeable difference on how each works on the rams?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Don
We tried cast bullets from 150 grains to 200 grains. Jeanne had varying results at Raton so we went to jacketed Sierra 150 pro-hunter and 170 pro-hunter bullets. Any brand jacketed bullets shoot about the same in our Rifles, but Sierra always sends bullets to our regional so we repay their support buy buying that brand.

I have a 100 yard range a few feet from my back door and have the time to test MANY load combinations .
The Sierra 150 at about 1600 fps for the first three animals and the Sierra 170 grain bullet at about 1800 fps for the rams pushed by H 4895.

These loads are mild , accurate and reliable on Rams.

When my grandson starts shooting CLA I'll whip him up some very mild cast bullet loads sized at .310 and pushed by trail boss.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I shot one match with cast bullets and did well with them. Cleaned the barrel and the next month I shot awful - there was 1/8" of leading protruding from the muzzel!. And these were gas check 165gr bullets.

I learned my lesson. Now I only shoot 130gr Speer and 170gr Sierra bullets.

Only jacketed in my Winchester from now on.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thanks for the info guys. My rifles all shoot well with the Speers, and either 748 or RX15. So I think I'll just use that combo for now and save the cast bullets for the occasional gong match where you have to use cast. Just wasn't sure if the jacketed would put the smackdown on the rams or not.
Had some exceptional accuracy with the 170's and Ramshot Biggame, put I used that powder up and haven't been able to find any. The velocity wasn't anything spectacular , but you could head shoot antelope at 200 yds.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

snaketail2 wrote:I shot one match with cast bullets and did well with them. Cleaned the barrel and the next month I shot awful - there was 1/8" of leading protruding from the muzzel!. And these were gas check 165gr bullets.

I learned my lesson. Now I only shoot 130gr Speer and 170gr Sierra bullets.

Only jacketed in my Winchester from now on.

Michael
Michael, Not sure what you learned. It doesn't sound like you learned to shoot cast bullets. Clearly, it is easily done. Even I can do it :) .

The 1/8" of lead protruding from the muzzle sounds interesting. No one I know or have ever heard of has been able to turn that trick. Do you happen to have any pictures?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I learned to avoid cast bullets!
No photos.
But gas check bullet moving 1000fps should not lead the bore.
Thanks for your observation, but I'm through with cast bullets.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I've always used speer jacketed and never looked back. Rams always fall. :-bd
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Another Dang 9 wrote:I've always used speer jacketed and never looked back. Rams always fall. :-bd
I guess I'll have to try speers. Rams only fall for me and cast bullets when I hit them. :lol:
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

DonM:
Again, these are tried and true 30-30 loads with no need to adjust your sights between animals. Just point & shoot.
Chicken/Pig 30.0 gr Varget 150 gr Sierra flat nose #2000
Turkey 33.0 gr Varget 150 gr Sierra flat nose #2000
Ram 32.0 gr Varget 170 gr Sierra flat nose #2010
ppkny
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thanks.
I like 748 with the 150's and RX 15 with the 170's, been using those two powders for so very long in the 30wcf, it's hard to do something different. With cast I like 3031.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i use jacket bullets. sierra 125 hp and sierra 170 fp for rams. your gun will let you know what works the best.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

My Grand Slam was shot entirely with cast bullets. That said, it is not as easy to sort out as jacketed. I can put in some 150g Sierra 2000 and load and forget the fiddle and diddle. I think those that use cast bullets do it for the added challenge, the added satisfaction of working through the process of developing the right bullet, right diameter, right COL, right lube, right hardness, right crimp and all the other many variables of a cast bullet. I get 2.25 MOA all day long. Working to get 2 MOA all day long but that is the point of exponential challenge. I might get 2 MOA of better at 200y but then something opens it up. Or worse, my Ram load has been known to ring a ram and that is a frustration that jacketed bullets don't have as often as cast.

I really don't know why I do it. I guess it is an adventure, a journey and sometimes the journey is half the fun.

I use the Lyman 3118 for chickens. The 31141 for all others. Trying the RCBS 30-180 for a little bit more ram power but so far, no joy. Sure wish the snow would go away.