Another PC question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Another PC question

Post by ChuckD »

Looking at alternatives to .22 mag for PC, It seems easier to find a .44 than a .357. I have found a bunch of Marlin 1894 20" in .44 and Henry's seem available in both. Question is:

Henry vs Marlin 1894. Any real advantage, one over the other? Both my henry .22's shoot and function excellently. Never shot or seen a Henry on the line for PC or CLA Big Bore.

thanks
chuck
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Another PC question

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

My wife and I shoot henry big boy steels in 357. Using a 125 plated bullet it groups well. I have seen 22 mag ring rams. I shoot this rifle in cla and drop everything out through turkeys. Repair and replacement parts are easily available. Everyone is trying to find older Marlins thus driving the prices up. The age old debate of barrel lenth will play here but its your choice.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I've been shooting a M92 Rossi 24" Octagon Barrel in 357 for about 5 years now in PC. Great gun, smooth action and easy to get components. I think they are going for about $625.00 currently.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=153

ppkny
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Is it viable to take a 44 mag and have it relined to .357? less than 300.00 to get it done.... From MY interpretation of the rules this is legal...?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Wouldn't you have to do a lot more than reline the barrel to make a 44 Mag lever gun work correctly with 357?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Jason wrote:Wouldn't you have to do a lot more than reline the barrel to make a 44 Mag lever gun work correctly with 357?

Yea I probably did not think about all of the things needed. Probably a new bolt and perhaps a different shell lifter. OAL on the 2 calibers is basically the same so the geometry on the rest "should" be OK....?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

ppkny wrote:I've been shooting a M92 Rossi 24" Octagon Barrel in 357 for about 5 years now in PC. Great gun, smooth action and easy to get components. I think they are going for about $625.00 currently.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=153

ppkny
I have 2, both shoot lights out. Huge bang for the buck. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i shot a marlin 1894 in 44 mag for pc for a year. then i move over to a 1894 in 357 mag. it is either/or with which gun that is the best to me. both rifles shoot well and i down load both for easy shooting. marlin, henry, and rossi are all good rifles that will work.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

cedestech wrote:I have 2, both shoot lights out. Huge bang for the buck. :)
I don't know... don't forget that ONE target you missed in the PC match last weekend. I blame it on the rifle.

Dustin
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

dustinflint wrote:
cedestech wrote:I have 2, both shoot lights out. Huge bang for the buck. :)
I don't know... don't forget that ONE target you missed in the PC match last weekend. I blame it on the rifle.

Dustin
I blame the rarefied air I am not accustom to breathing trying to focus on my 38th animal... ;)

The rifle is ridiculously accurate and smooth. For that I blame my world class lever action gun smith at Stieger Inc. :))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Thanks for the Rossi tip. A little research and it looks like the way I will go.
Question?
What rear Williams sight does it take? I have a Williams and a Lyman I bought for a Winchester that I never used, hoping they are the same. Anyone who has a Rossi know?
What sights did you use?
Thanks
chuck
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

You have to drill and tap any receiver sight. I have a Williams on one and a sharps tang on the other. I like the Williams a bit better but mainly because it has a adjustable aperture.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

BTW, when you or your smith install the 17a and drill and tap for whichever receiver sight, go tall enough on the front that you can use the shrouded Merit aperture with a minimum of trimming. Also both my rifles, the front dovetail is a little oversized. You'll need to peen in the dovetail to get a "tight" fit. Also look at using a redfield, very solid.