Front sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Front sight

Post by ChuckD »

Marlin 39 with a WIlliams FP/TK on the rear. Which Lyman 17 front sight (height) do I need?

Thanks
chuck
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Front sight

Post by CamP »

Been through this recently with a couple of guns.

For guns, like the 39A or 9422, with a front sight ramp, use the shortest Lyman sight. The .404" tall 17 AHB.

If you don't already have one, you'll also need the optional Williams long elevation screw, and it will need to be shortened slightly to zero at 40 meters in the Williams FP-39. Brownells has the long screws.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

OR you can remove the ramp and dovetail the barrel for the low front sight and not need the extended screw. I did this and need to go up about 40 clicks from the bottom for the chickens. I felt like the rear sight had too much wobble if you went up like the previous poster said.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

OldRanger wrote:OR you can remove the ramp and dovetail the barrel for the low front sight and not need the extended screw. I did this and need to go up about 40 clicks from the bottom for the chickens. I felt like the rear sight had too much wobble if you went up like the previous poster said.
Did you use the medium height .494" High Lyman 17AMI? That's what I installed in my wife's dovetailed barrel Henry Frontier and it was the perfect height on that application.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I'll have to look up which one I put on, but I want to say its the .404 low one. But I'm sure the medium would work as well, just have to raise the rear sight a bit more.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.