Question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Question

Post by ChuckD »

Marlin Golden 39AS
What exactly I am I looking at?
thanks
chuck
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Question

Post by Merlin »

Looked at the 39AS on Bing images and all I saw appeared to have the crossbolt safety. Never had a 39 with the crossbolt but I have heard they are not as easy to get a good trigger on as the pre crossbolt guns.

Nice looking gun for sure.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Thanks!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I've borrowed an AS and hate the resonating 'click-boing' of the rebounding hammer. Really odd. But I guess you can get used to it
- Joe
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i pickup a second 39a with the rebounding hammer and cross bolt safety to use as a backup rifle to my 1960 39a. the trigger can be made as good as the older 39a's. you got to get use to the sound of the rebounding hammer. you can cut off the rebounding part and get a kit that removes the cross bolt safety.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Shot my personal best with a 39AS. Barrel is slightly thicker entire length (more frontal weight if you like it - I do).
Rebounding hammer can be eliminated and trigger just as smooth as an older 39A. Best reason is you don't have a @)(*&&# person using a steel rod and wearing down the microgroove rifling (ask me about that on my 1961 - 39A...)

Look at the last 1 inch of rifling at the bore, and how it ejects the shells. All other items can be easily fixed by searching and doing some 'smithing if you're handy. rear (Williams) peeps are different, however, front globe can be the same (I choose the next higher one for a more heads-up weld).
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

The 39 a with a cross bolt safety has a "ping' after the shot. I think the 39As was the first with the crossbolt safety. We have a couple , they both have great triggers and shoot very well....it's just the ping thing I notice no matter how good the hearing protection. We have 4 or 5 39s w/o the crossbolt safety and I like them better. No ping. With a scope mounted and off the bench all of mine shoot about the same.
Just Be Nice **==