.44 Mag load and bullet recommendations

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

.44 Mag load and bullet recommendations

Post by Number10GI »

I've been looking for a .357 for pistol cartridge class but haven't had any luck finding one for a reasonable price. A friend had a Rossi 92 in .44 that he had only fired one box of ammo through. Got it for a good price so will use it until I can get a deal on a .357. I've done some searching on this site and apparently there aren't many shooting a .44 as the search results are far and few between. Is there any need to use 240 gr bullets and is it possible to get by using lighter weights or stick with the 240's? Is it a good idea to use lighter bullets on the chickens, pigs and turkeys and a heavier bullet on the rams? Plated, jacketed or lead bullets? I know there are a lot of questions but I'm looking to cut down on the trial and error method and take advantage of your experience and testing.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: .44 Mag load and bullet recommendations

Post by frankmako »

i used a 44 mag for a year in pistol cartridge until i found a 357 mag. 240 gr bullets and some 270 gr cast lead too. i got some good loads i will send you by pm. these loads worked for me in my marlin 1894. they might work for you. i tried to use the 44 mag for cla, but the gun would not group at the rams. it started to fall apart at the turkeys. but the group open up at the rams so much that it made it not worth the time to shoot. i don't run my loads hot, i like lite loads that group. my 44 mag is my backup rifle and sometimes i still shoot it at matches. when you drive six hours plus round trips for a match you take backup rifles.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Re: .44 Mag load and bullet recommendations

Post by durant7 »

I am a frugal New Englander and thus I shoot home made bullets. Or, I have one more to send to college. That said, I have struggled with my 44 but figured things out at last and intend to continue the effort and shoot it more. I had tried to use it for CLA but, had not really gotten it sorted.

I cast 429215 bullets and size to .430". I found in the Laser Cast loading manual that Titegroup was their recommended powder. Others had success with Unique, I did not. Did some more reading and learned that Titegroup works well where you are low in the case volume scale. Were they right! Of course never follow any post re loads without reading and following an official reference on the matter. That said, 5.9g of Titegroup works well in my situation and I skip the GC. I have confirmed a few times that 100y accuracy is very good with this load. I, like you, would love to have a 357. Or even a 32-20. But....for now....as much as I am able to shoot, the 44 will be my PCCLA gun. I let a buddy shoot it and he managed a 33 in a CLA match with hastily produced ammo of my Dillon. By hastily, I mean I just accepted the Dillon powder drop and banged out 100 bullets to be available for just such an occasion. My inability to reliably do better with my 44 than my 39A has caused me to not put the effort into the 44. That is my problem that I need to sort out. My 39A is a great gun and it just works for me. It does tend to leave 75% of the rams behind. Argh!

More info http://durant7.blogspot.com/2013/05/44- ... -back.html