New Smallbore Rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

New Smallbore Rifle

Post by CamP »

Henry just announced a 24" barrel version of the Frontier. This a exactly what Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette needs to bring in new shooters! Instead of trying to find a decent used 9422 or 39A, you can now buy a brand new 24" Henry!

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/leve ... ier-rifle/

Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New Smallbore Rifle

Post by Tlee »

That's fantastic! Gotta have one...

:ymparty:

- Tim
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Me too! I had a Henry Frontier and it actually shot tighter groups than my 39A or 9422 Legacy. The only reason I sold it was I couldn't see the front sight clearly with my far-sighted eyes and the 20" barrel. Cabelas typically sells the Henry Frontier for $379, so it's really a great value for a fine shooting rifle, and now anyone that is interested in the Silhouette game can go to any gun store and buy a competitive new rifle.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

:ymapplause:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Sounds like a very nice deal to me....

Wonder what a 24" weights? I would guess it to be about a pound lighter than a 39A...
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Merlin wrote:Sounds like a very nice deal to me....

Wonder what a 24" weights? I would guess it to be about a pound lighter than a 39A...
The 20" Frontier weighs 6.25lbs, so I'd guess the 24" version would be approx. 6.75lbs +/-. I think the 39A spec weight is 6.5lbs.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

The 39 I am currently shooting is a mid 80s model with the slightly heavier barrel. With a Redfield 75 rear and Lyman 39 front it is 7 lb 8 oz. My 49 model with the lighter barrel still weights ~7 lb.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

The weight will be interesting.

We have a 20" Frontier, a 1958 39A and a Win 9422 Legacy, but I don't have a good scale to weigh them. What do you suppose 4" of octagon barrel weighs?
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I don't want to disassemble these guns but my 20" Henry Frontier full octagon barrel with a Williams FP-GR-TK rear sight and a Lyman 17A front sight weighs 6lbs. 6 oz.
My brand new Browning BL-22 - 24" tapered octagon barrel with the same setup weighs 5lbs. 12oz.
These are weighed on a precision Ultra Ship ULTRA30 scale.
ppkny
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

What would the 24 inch Frontier model weigh with the front and rear sights?
Would it be worth going with the 24 inch?
Is there a max weight limit?
Does the trigger have to be 2 lbs or can it be less?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Ken - The trigger can be lighter than 2 pounds - as long as its "safe"

Can the average joe rework the trigger on the Henry? There are a lot of aftermarket items for 39s - how about Henry?

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

snaketail2 wrote:Ken - The trigger can be lighter than 2 pounds - as long as its "safe"

Can the average joe rework the trigger on the Henry? There are a lot of aftermarket items for 39s - how about Henry?

M
The factory trigger on my wife's Henry is excellent. It's lighter than my 39A and 9422. I've read that simply polishing the contact points will get it under 3lbs.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:Ken - The trigger can be lighter than 2 pounds - as long as its "safe"

M
M -

I've made several achieve the 2lb mark with little effort, another at 1lb, and yet another at 11oz. The GOOD news about anything you get from Henry is they will actually sell you any part except the serialized receiver, so experimenting and fixing screw ups is 10X easier than on the Marlins. Getting parts for Marlins, particularly older ones, is sometimes a challenge (and ZERO help from Remington/Marlin, at least for the "Average Joe"... Other's MMV.

BTW... "Average Joe" is extremely open to interpretation... But in 45 years of shooting, the Henry is the 1st one I deemed so simple that I elected to attempt the trigger job on it and have since moved onto doing the Marlins as well.

Aftermarket items.... For the Frontier model; Industry standard 11mm rail mounted rear sights (i.e. Williams FP-GR-TK) and dovetail mounted front sights (i.e. Lyman 17A). Golden Boys required a tang sight or drill/tap the receiver for the rear sight. Roundbarrel H001 and H001Y models have the 11mm rail but a front sight integrated into the barrel band. Several have dovetailed that band to accept a 17A, others have simply dovetailed the barrel, or mounted a Marlin/Remington/Winchester ramp to accept the 17A.

I started SBCR with the 20" Henry Frontier, shot it for years, and now use a Marlin 39A (and still haven't shot a match any better with it than I did the Frontier). 2 family members still use the Frontier, one of which has shot Master class with it and has made it to a couple SBCR National Championship shootoffs using it.

Although I still use the 39A in matches, for "critter gitter" and ranch duty, I move the 39A out of the way in favor of the Frontier.... It's WAY less ammo finicky and more predictable in sight settings than the 39A. I'll definitely own the 24" Henry as soon as I can find one.

my .02, Happy (~~)

-Tim
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Apparently, up until fairly recently, Henry would send you a polished trigger group for free if you asked them. I think the liability attorneys nixed that deal, but if you send your rifle to Henry, they will polish your trigger group for free if you aren't happy with the factory trigger. Their customer service is unmatched in this day and age.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

CamP wrote:Henry just announced a 24" barrel version of the Frontier. This a exactly what Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette needs to bring in new shooters! Instead of trying to find a decent used 9422 or 39A, you can now buy a brand new 24" Henry!

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/leve ... ier-rifle/

Has this 24 inch barrel version of the Frontier been released to the public yet?
If it has, which dealer has them in stock and what is the price?

I don't shoot CLA, but this might just give me a reason too. Thanks Ken