New Smallbore Rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: New Smallbore Rifle

Post by CamP »

Actually, a pistol grip version would require big changes to Henry's existing small bore tooling and design. It would require an all new receiver/cover and butt stock.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I agree, but that might be reasonable for them if they get enough response to this new 24" model and/or enough requests from other customers who want a pistol grip rimfire lever action rifle.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I ordered a small bore and magnum today... I know someone else who ordered a small bore today also.... we'll see what they look like in a week or two.... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Does anyone know if these rifles are in the stores yet or how long it will be?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Got an e mail today saying the rifles are now shipping. The notice was an attachment from another Forum..but looked to be a "factory" e mail advertisement.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Local Gun Store called and said pick up new 24" Henry this Thursday......... :-bd

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

There are four of them currently in stock at Gallery of Guns. It was five earlier today. Pop in your zip code and find local shops where you can pick it up.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... em=H001TLB

Make sure to look at the "Total" number for the total price you'll end up paying, not the "Your Price" number.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Got my 22 and 22mag today. Sights are in the pipeline from Midway. They are Frontiers with 4" more barrel. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Mine weights 6 lb 8.4 oz . that's a half lb. less than my 39A. My first Henry and I think it has a really nice bang for the buck ratio. The action is butter. Will get the trigger worked over and see how it shoots.

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I just picked up my 22lr Henry Frontier this morning. Yes it does have an octagon barrel. It weighs 6lbs. 8.6 ounces. The action is fairly slick beign a new rifle. The trigger isn't too bad. I know it should get better with use. I just need the trigger parts polished up. My new sights should be in tomorrow. With the extra 4 inches of barrel, it has a good balance.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Westy,
I did manage to get to the range this week before we got our 14 inches of snow yesterday and tried out my new Browning BL-22 24 inch . (62 degrees on Friday).
With the Williams and Lyman setup I selected I was able to get plenty of adjustment from chickens to rams. At the low end at chickens I still had about 1/8 inch before the sight would bottom out. The Browning BL-22 has a slick action with the short throw but the trigger needs some work. Although mine measured at 5.5 lbs. it does pull clean. I couldn't really do any meaningful ammo testing because the wind was picking up so it will have to wait until spring now. I'm not at all disappointed that I went with extra $$$ the quality of the engraved receiver and checkering makes this a fine rifle to own.
I can see now how they get the short throw, the trigger is in the lever, clever.
Here's a comparison of the Henry and the Browning:

Henry Frontier Octagon 20 inch 6 lbs. 5 oz. Williams FP-GR-TK Lyman 17A .584 high - .125 from bottom

Browning BL-22 Octagon 24 inch 5 lbs. 12 oz Williams FP-GR-TK Lyman 17A .494 high - .187 from bottom

ppkny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Well PPKNY I had my Bl-22 out yesterday and man I have to say it still shoots nicer than my 39A IMHO,infact my 39A might be going extinct this year and being replaced with another BL-22 with the 24" barrel. I just love these things, Iknow 34 isn't a perfect score but it sure makes me feel good about myself LOL. :)) =)) :))
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Westy,
Just got my Browning back from the gunsmith for a trigger job. Not a easy job and after much conversations between the smithy and Browning he managed to achieve a nice crisp 4 lbs. ( was 7.5 to start) This gun is unusual because it has the trigger in the lever. The guys that worked on it are from a small shop in upstate NY, Boltworks in Dryden, NY excellent to deal with.
http://www.boltworks.org/
https://www.facebook.com/BoltworksTacticalFirearms/

I started to experiment with front aperture sizes and settled on .170 ID. for now. There's a situation happening when you look at different colored targets through the front circle. A white target is a bit blurred and a black target is super sharp. It must be something to do with light refraction. It's not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.

ppkny