rifle choice/question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

rifle choice/question

Post by ChuckD »

Finally got serious about silhouette this year. Shooting 24-29 (.22/PC).
My son has shown some interest, so looks like a new rifle is in order. Shooting a Henry with octagon barrel and Williams rear sigh. Works well, like the feel and know I can get to 35 with this set up.
Now with needing another rifle, I can go with this same set up, or is it worth a couple hundred more to move to a Marlin 39?
I shot NRA HP for 20 years, I get you can't buy points (or rams) but the top of the line equipment is a plus.

Thoughts?

Thanks
chuck
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Re: rifle choice/question

Post by twidpa »

Folks ask this question a lot. I think maybe they believe that this rifle purchase will be the last! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Personal opinion only here. Go fondle both rifles and see what fits the best and buy that one. Then if and when you see something better you can sell it for help getting the next one. I only like the older 39's but it is mainly for the different feel of the thicker forearm.
T
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Chuck, Here's what I tell everyone now, after I did my own quest for a suitable .22 lever gun. The best guns you can get for the money are Marlin 39A's made between 1945 and 1955. These are pre-microgroove guns and will,have a serial no. with a prefix between B and M.
I feel these were made in an era where quality and workmanship really counted. I have two 1946 models and they both shoot extremely well.
These years are usually available on GunBroker at prices between $450 and $650, which is a lot less than what a Winchester 9422 brings. Hope this helps.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I agree with Al. And, would like to add my .02 worth.

I had a part-time job at Cabelas a few years ago. I was in the Gun Library and got to "try on" all the various rifles and shotguns. I found that some fit me well and some did not. I bought a Browning Citori that fit me perfect and I still shoot it well.

Now that I shoot Lever Action Silhouette I have some issues with rifle fit. I'm somewhat small in stature and find that smaller rifles work better for me. I have a Marlin "Ducks Unlimited" 1894 in 25-20 that I shoot better than any of the other rifles. It is a small rifle and it fits me quite well. I also have a Marlin 1894CL in .357 - beautiful rifle, but almost too big for me, heavy barrel too.
My 39A is about the same dimensions as the .357 - almost too big for me - I shot the tiny Browning BL22 much better.

My point is, don't rush into buying a rifle. Try them on and see which fits you best - this way you won't have to buy a gun twice. If it doesn't fit you then you have to adjust/compromise to make it work. Get one that fits and you'll be happier.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm a new middle of the road AA shooter, but my wife outshoots me, and my 39A, with her Henry Frontier. That being said, I just picked up a 9422 Legacy, and it seems to balance better for me than the 39A, although I haven't shot any matches with it to verify that it will produce better scores.