Oklahoma Sooner Classic

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Oklahoma Sooner Classic

Post by glen ring »

The Sooner Classic was a blast.

We were at capacity with 48 shooters and were sorry we had to turn shooters away.

Jim Luke , the most bad ass Lever gun Shooter in the World, won the match by beating the Legendary Preston Gibson by one turkey in a shoot-off.

The side shoots we had planned were a BIG hit. Folks could be as serious as they wanted to for 40 rounds but then they played with man vs man shootouts !!

Jeanne's planning of the match was PERFECT , our target setters were the BEST in the world, our other club members worked very HARD and folks told me I have a Gift for painting targets.

We allowed no drama queens or cranky old men and everyone's attitude was so OH SO GOOD !!

Preston Gibson ( who has been a competitor for decades ) told Jeanne this was the best match he had ever been to.

Spectators and even the target setters got into the man vs. man shootouts with the entire crowd cheering the winners.

Hard work, planning, thinking outside the box for exciting side matches and the refusal to allow Drama queens and cranky old men entry is what makes for a good match.

Several People told us " You guys should run the National lever Gun Matches" .

IF Jeanne wants to plan another regional, IF our club wants us to, IF the other hard workers in our club are willing, We will probably expand to a maximum of 60 shooters.

I hope they all want to so I can show off my target painting skills.
Just Be Nice **==
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Oklahoma Sooner Classic

Post by Tlee »

Good job this weekend Glen and Jeanne.... Super staff and target setters. Even though there was lotsa rain in the area it was gorgeous weather and shooting conditions during the matches. The food was good, there were lots of prizes, and by all accounts that I heard, everyone had a great time!

Looking forward to the next one already,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thanks Tim.

Jeanne works VERY hard to get everything scheduled.
You know, we only do these matches because we like good folks like you and Judy.
Just Be Nice **==
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

glen ring wrote: Jim Luke , the most bad ass Lever gun Shooter in the World, won the match by beating the Legendary Preston Gibson by one turkey in a shoot-off.
Wow, it doesn't get any better than a shootoff for the aggregate between those two. I've taken several butt-whippings from both of those guys!

Sounds like the match went great and lived up to its reputation as one of the best in the country. I hope to be able to make it up there soon.

Dustin
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

Kudos to both Jeanne and Glen for a very professional and FUN weekend. GREAT weather and GREATER friends!
Thanks for all the hard work!
Kimbal and Lorraine Markwardt
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thank You Kimbal. We always look forward to shooting with you and Lorraine. Jeanne has already started asking if we can do another regional next year. We hope the Board members of the gun Club will find out how much fun everyone had and let us do the match next year before the Nationals at Raton.

Now for the side matches ...........I'm thinking teams of three.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I was pretty sure that if I missed this one I'd miss the match of the year....thanks for confirming it.

I missed the nationals too, but heard about them. Wish I could have gone to Oklahoma.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Sounds like the match went great and lived up to its reputation as one of the best in the country.
Thanks, Dustin!
I was pretty sure that if I missed this one I'd miss the match of the year....thanks for confirming it.

I missed the nationals too, but heard about them. Wish I could have gone to Oklahoma.
Thank you, Michael! We missed seeing you. Hope the move went well for you.

We have a tentative date of June 17 & 18, 2017. The only thing that would change this date is if the Nationals are early in July. So mark your calendar and stay tuned.

Jeanne
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.