Front sight problem

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Front sight problem

Post by Porpoise »

today I had my marlin xlr and Henry 22 lever out and as sometimes happens I was having a problem with dropping my front sight at the trigger break. I often have this problem but it occurred to me it never seems to happen with my non lever guns open sight or scoped so I got out my 22 anschutz which I use for silhouette and sure enough I shot it quite well right beside where I was dropping the front sight of the levers. Also although I have modified the henry trigger and the xlr to a 2.5 pound trigger like all my other guns I have a harder time to get a shot off with the xlr as if to flinch than my 30 06 open sight tikka and remington. It seems there is something about my style with the levers that needs fixing . Anyone else have this problem?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Front sight problem

Post by cslcAl »

Follow through.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Porpoise »

Ok, is it possible the lock time of the levers is long enough to allow me to do this where the annie and tikka make up for it. It seems unlikely but something seems to be holding up the shot . Im not sure what to do about this style problem
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Porpoise,

You didn't mention what front sight you use. Many shooters including myself use a Lyman 17A front sight. I tell everyone who asks me about this issue, if you are not seeing the animals fall in your front sight, you are not following through.

Hope this helps.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Porpoise »

I use a fiberoptic bead .
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Try as much as you can to stay focused on the animal through the the sights after you break the shot. Dry firing will help develop your ability to do this.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Like Al said, dry firing is the answer.

You're shooting an anschutz alongside lever guns. You can have less than perfect follow thru with the Annie and get away with it because of faster lock time. Not so with the lever gun.

And never, I mean never, shoot a shotgun one weekend and expect to have great follow thru the next. Ain't happening. A 12 ga shotgun destroys my trigger release and follow thru.
- Joe
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

at the last match I changed my trigger finger position inward on my finger to the first fold which improved my follow thru.
the 1st match I only managed a 26/40 using old finger position , 2nd match I changed to above mentioned finger position and managed a 34/40 , Al beat me with a 35 for match winner, could be a fluke further testing will be required
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

A different take on this issue. I noticed this while shooting a single shot stevens action. The hammer tension was set fairly high. My support hand was positioned to the rear of the balance point of the rifle while shooting. This made the rifle barrel heavy while shooting off hand. It seemed the barrel would dip when the hammer fell. This lead to a nice group low just off the belly of the ram. It seemed the heavy hammer strike would help to cause the rifle to cam over at the pivot point of the short holding point of my off hand. I corrected the problem by moving my support hand forward to just past the balance point of the rifle. It was not a comfortable hold for this rifle but it did eliminate the lower shots.
T
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Porpoise »

Thànks guys i went out again today with my henry and marlin, i shot the henry well and the marlin so so
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

What Al said, follow through, watch front sight and try seeing animal fall. I will add concentrate on keeping cheek welded to stock. Work at visualizing and internalizing what a good shot is, it takes a lot of concentration. To many people don't and often reinforce bad habits. If none of this works get a training partner to observe as you break shots. Every time you pick your head up, like a woodchuck looking around, they can hit you hard with a stick. :D Al Bean