Aftermarket barrel?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Aftermarket barrel?

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote:where do y'all find all these 39A's that shoot so good? I'd be happy if I had one that could shoot 1.5" with at least 2 of my stocked piled target bullets.
That is why I recommend the Henry for someone starting out that wants to shoot and not screw around. 39A is great but getting a good shooter can be very hit and miss (pun, sorry). I lucked out into the 2 I have. One was a 65 and the other a 52. Both have the throats chewed out at 6 oclock but both shoot CCI SV very well. 1/2-3/4" at 50 yards. Both also shoot Aguilla SE good too. Neither likes match ammo. I think it's because both chambers/head spaces are so wore out that the CCI and Aguilla are fat and fill it up. Same reason neither brand will chamber in my Annies...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Well, I went back to the pawn shop. They had a 39A w/ gold trigger. Metal looked good. Bore looked good. Wood, is O K. I got him down to $540.00 out the door. I left it there if anyone wants it.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

dhatch wrote:Well, I went back to the pawn shop. They had a 39A w/ gold trigger. Metal looked good. Bore looked good. Wood, is O K. I got him down to $540.00 out the door. I left it there if anyone wants it.
I bet Bruce Finley was burning rubber flying down the road to get that rifle!

I really don't understand why everyone wants to debate this aftermarket barrel issue to death. All you have to do is get someone to stamp the manufacturer's writing on a custom barrel. Works great with the blued Lilja barrel on my 39A. In fact, now that I've figured out how to make the 5018 trigger work on that rifle it's as sweet as my smallbore rifle and I haven't been disqualified from a match yet...

Dustin
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

dustinflint wrote:
dhatch wrote:Well, I went back to the pawn shop. They had a 39A w/ gold trigger. Metal looked good. Bore looked good. Wood, is O K. I got him down to $540.00 out the door. I left it there if anyone wants it.
I bet Bruce Finley was burning rubber flying down the road to get that rifle!

I really don't understand why everyone wants to debate this aftermarket barrel issue to death. All you have to do is get someone to stamp the manufacturer's writing on a custom barrel. Works great with the blued Lilja barrel on my 39A. In fact, now that I've figured out how to make the 5018 trigger work on that rifle it's as sweet as my smallbore rifle and I haven't been disqualified from a match yet...

Dustin
Stirring with a big stick eh.... =))

It's human nature and it wont be stopped..... Maybe if all matches above a local level were "claiming matches" where the winning guns used could be "claimed" by a competitor for a modest amount (say $500.00) the felt need to sink a bunch of money in your rifle would be reduced a little..... :ymdevil:
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Oh, Hell No. No gun of mine leaves me except over my dead body !!!!
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

If you want higher scores spend the Lilja barrel money on ammo and practice. You might be surprised :)) :)) =)) =)) :)) :))

NOW THATS FUNNY ;)) ;)) ;))
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Westy wrote:NOW THATS FUNNY ;)) ;)) ;))
Don't quit your day job.... :)) :)) :)) :))
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

The beauty of this game is that you can get a $500 gun and if you can shoot, you will be competitive.
If you can't shoot , spending up on high-end equipment ain't gunna improve your scores.
I'm with Al, spend your money on ammo and practice.
Taps
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Well then, I can't help but be terribly curious. I spent $435.00 plus tax for my 1954, 39A back in May. The front sight blade had been filed down to about 1/8" high and there wasn't an elevator in the rear sight. So I shoot it as was at our local match in June and shot a 21 or it might've been a 19, I would have to go back to see for sure. I do remember that Bruce commented that he didn't see how I shot that good with those sights.
At that time, I had shot one 5 in a row on Rams at 200m.
After that June match, I spent the money to put a 17A globe on front, and additional dollars for a fiber optic insert, and a Williams peep sight on.
At our July match my animal count went up to, I don't remember, and I shot my first ever 10 in a row, Pigs.
At our August match I shot my second 10 in a row, Pigs.
So if spending money on high end equipment isn't going to improve my scores, then what should I attribute my improved scores on, with that rifle?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

To clarify, the 5 in a row was shot with a M94 chambered in .32 Winchester Special with the factory sights on it , front and rear, and those 5 were the last 5. I hit 7 out of 10 for the Ram total.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I'm still curious. I've been shooting low end bulk ammunition, Federal Auto Match.
Wouldn't spending extra dollars on higher end ammunition contribute to higher scores?
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

What are you getting at? You spent less than $500 on a gun and it's working. So you upgraded your sights, hardly a big spend.
I thought the post was about spending thousands on Lilja replacement barrels and gunsmithing.
AS for using higher priced ammo, go right ahead. A shot into the dirt is a shot into the dirt, higher priced ammo don't make up for a bad shot. If you break the shot when you are not on the target, the best ammo in the world still ain't gunna hit it.
Maybe your scores are going up because you are shooting more? Like Al said, "practice".
Taps
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Regardless of dollars spent, the principle remains the same.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I was truly in search of that "Benchrest lever gun" until I saw Lon Pennington shoot so well with an old , beat up gun.
I then talked to a past national champion ( from penn I think ) who told me his guns are about three inch guns , but he can hold three inches.

I put a scope on my lever guns to find a good load and whatdayou know... They shot MUCH better off the bench than I ever imagined.

Get a good gun ( or a pretty one ) and lots of ammo. Don't worry about someday getting a rule that allows custom barrels.

Most of us can't shoot that good.

P.S. I've been properly chastised for stating silhouette is good practice for hunting so if you're competing with your open sight rifle to make you a better hunter, I'd keep it to yourself...but you're invited to bring your lever silhouette gun out to my place to hunt a few squirrels and rabbits. xoxoxoxox
Just Be Nice **==
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day Glen
It's funny how much more confident you get hunting with open sights and taking off-hand shots after shooting years of silhouette.
Taps