Aftermarket barrel?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Aftermarket barrel?

Post by edgehit »

What if NRA cowboy silhouette committee approves aftermarket barrels? Would you rebarrel?

I've stated that I would rebarrel my Marlin 39A with a stainless Lilja. I'd do it right now if the rules permitted it.
- Joe
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Aftermarket barrel?

Post by glen ring »

Only if I could have a laser attached to a rail underneath.
Just Be Nice **==
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

If it were legal I would put a new barrel on my old mid 1920s wall hanger and shoot it in matches. It would probably shoot well enough to be competitive in matches if it had some rifling in the barrel....... :D
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Why not take the perfectly legal-now route of turning down a Lilja barrel and relining your current barrel with it? It works extremely well, maybe better than simply rebarreling with a Lilja.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

BrentD wrote:Why not take the perfectly legal-now route of turning down a Lilja barrel and relining your current barrel with it? It works extremely well, maybe better than simply rebarreling with a Lilja.

I am not sure if I am buying into the basic concept of the barrel replacement being such an advantage but.....

If it is legal to turn down a complete barrel ( and there is no better than Lilja) and use it as a "barrel liner" have we not gone well past the intent of the rules regarding barrel replacement - as a means of keeping the price of being "competitive", down and under control...?

Actually, if this is legal, the rule is useless and we might as well let it go and let those who wish to re-barrel to "buy an advantage" do their thing.

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle

b. Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels re-bored
to a larger caliber are allowed.

Not only is relining permitted but the rifle may be changed to a different caliber and, it would appear, cartridge
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Relining can restore or even improve original accuracy of an existing barrel, but it can't give a longer, heavier barrel for a longer sight radius and slower wobble. The relining allowance lets shooters get their old lever guns back into the game without going off the deep end on the equipment race.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I just don't get it. Ruin this game just like SB and HP hunter rifle. If your gun shoots that bad, there are plenty of used ones out there that will. I just bought a real nice 1946 Marlin 39A for $500 and it shoots real well. I'd bet a Lilja barrel replacement would approach that in cost.

My 2 1946 Marlins will both shoot 1-1/2 in or less at 100 meters. That's more than adequate for the size targets we shoot.

If you want higher scores spend the Lilja barrel money on ammo and practice. You might be surprised.
image.jpeg
Al Foust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Al, Thank You Very Much. That says it all.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Jason wrote:Relining can restore or even improve original accuracy of an existing barrel, but it can't give a longer, heavier barrel for a longer sight radius and slower wobble. The relining allowance lets shooters get their old lever guns back into the game without going off the deep end on the equipment race.
Jason, then you consign the extra long, extra heavy barrels to the fortunate few that can afford the rare special order originals that are out there.

As long as this is an offhand, street clothes, "iron" (fiber sights were a mistake, imho)sights game, there really is no reason to prevent rebarreling. I think that rule strongly restricts the growth of this sport. Just my opinion.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

I don't have a horse in this race but was about to mirror CSLC Al's statement about the SB and HP Hunter. Fellows and ladies be extremely careful about which direction you proceed with this game with regards to equipment. I watched the decline of SB and HP Hunter and firmly believe it was due to relaxing the factory rifle only rules. Cowboy is very popular and I would hate to see it decline in popularity. The late Mickey Wagner was so correct when he stated that equipment races ruin sports.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

IMO it is not the equipment race that is/has ruined smallbore but the fact that is is a very demanding sport to excel in...

Lever rifle is easier to shoot and easier to hit targets. If I might be the first to state..... You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Just for the record, I have a vintage Marlin 1893 (circa ~1920s) rebored to .38-55, a Marlin 94 (circa ~1913) relined from .38-40 to .38-40 with a Redman's liner after bulging the barrel, and a bone stock 1951 vintage Marlin 39a. And if you saw me shoot at Nationals, you know damn well, I'm no threat to the sport. My point is only that, while staying well within the rules, one can definitely game the system, meanwhile some of the rules only remove legitimate shooters from the firing line.

Legal "gaming" include,
1. relining barrels
2. fiber optic front sights
3. rear sights with a lens in them
4. weight in the magazine tube

Other than the .38-40 above, I do none of these things. But I could, and yet be legal.

Frankly, I would disallow 2 and 3 and 4, while allowing rebarreling rifles, and also creating a "period" scope class, much like BPCR Scope class and .22BPCR scope class has done for single shots . These last two rule additions would GREATLY increase interest and participation in the sport. But I doubt anyone would agree with that, and that's okay. I'm happy as a clam where I am.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

where do y'all find all these 39A's that shoot so good? I'd be happy if I had one that could shoot 1.5" with at least 2 of my stocked piled target bullets.
- Joe
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I stumbled across mine at a pawn shop in Natchez, Mississippi. They wanted $480.00 for it. I grumbled and commented about how someone filed the front sight blade down to about 1/8" because it didn't have a elevation blade under the rear sight, and got them down to $435.00. It had a scope mount on it. It is a 1954.
With a scope, with Auto Match, at 50 yds off bags, it will shoot 5/8" to 3/4". SK Plus, 1/2" to 5/8". Other stuff is probably a little better. I am happy.
I was actually on my knees working my way down a long line of used guns when I found it.
At first match I shot a 21 without the elevator blade and the 1/8" front sight.
I am going back to that pawn shop today. Am looking for a Marlin in .357. Wish me luck.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.