Anyone shooting a Win Legendary Frontiersmen 38-55?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
AddictedToSB
A Poster
A Poster

Anyone shooting a Win Legendary Frontiersmen 38-55?

Post by AddictedToSB »

I just bought a Winchester 94 Legendary Frontiersmen in 38-55. I'm finding out there are a lot of discrepancies in what brass and bullets will chamber in different models/manufacturers of rifles in that caliber. I'd really prefer not to have to get the chamber cast or slug the barrel, so thought I would ask if any of you have the same model, and what bullets and brass are you using? A little more specifically I'm trying to find out if I should use the 2.082 or the 2.125 Starline brass, and if I can chamber a .379 or .380 bullet, or if I'll have to go with a .377. Also looking for recommendations of commercially cast bullets, we don't have time to cast them ourselves.

Thanks!
Heidi
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Anyone shooting a Win Legendary Frontiersmen 38-55?

Post by 44 mag »

I shot one of those for awhile. I used the short Starline Brass. As for bullets you will need to slug the barrel. Mine was .381 and I had a hard time finding bullets that's why I don't have it anymore. Check out Moyers Bullets in PA. He makes some GREAT bullets and they are gas checked at very fair prices. Moyers are the best cast bullets I have found and he is a stand up guy to deal with. Good Luck Mike
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Love mine - I use the Big Lube 255 grain bullet sized to .380. You definitely need the larger diameter bullets in this rifle otherwise you will be shooting patterns, not groups. I use the 2.082 Starline brass...

I cast for everything I shoot, so can't help you with a source.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Heidi,

If I recall, the Winchester manufactured brass is the 2.082 size, so one might assume that their rifle would be chambered for the short brass. While my 38-55 is a Marlin, I have had good luck with several bullets, all sized .380. I can round up a sample of bullets for you if you would like to try them out. Just let me know and I will get them in the mail to you.

Greg
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Not what you want to hear but,

38/55 with two bore sizes .375 & .380 plus individual rifles differences, well worth the time and trouble to make a chamber cast and slug the bore. It's a pain I know but less pain than trial and error.

Boats
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

I'm watching this with intrest as I just purchased a New in the box Oliver F 1979 model..
Keeping it in the box and look at it, I don't think so =)) :)) =))
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Westy wrote:I'm watching this with intrest as I just purchased a New in the box Oliver F 1979 model..
Keeping it in the box and look at it, I don't think so =)) :)) =))
I've the same model, previously used in CASS Cody Dixon shoots... Only 'Chester I own. It slugs at .381 and uses short brass. It's one I'll "get around to" casting Boolits for... Probably once I retire from the 8 to 5 job.

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

I used one for the first few years and used Winchester brass and cast my own bullets using the Lee .379/250gr mold. Shot fine. Now use the same brass/bullet in a re-bored ( by P.O Ackley many moons ago) '94 Classic with the 26" octagonal barrel.
Taps