Marlin Model 60

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Marlin Model 60

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I might have access to one of these..... I've never shot CLA.... is it legal or possible to change the open sight on these?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Marlin Model 60

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Whoops.... never mind. I just read the rules. Can't.
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Umm.. yes, you can. A marlin 60 has a tube magazine and isn't a bolt action. It's legal for smallbore cowboy rifle. You can use a Lyman 17A up front and a Williams FP sight that clamps onto the rimfire dovetail on the receiver.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Jason wrote:Umm.. yes, you can. A marlin 60 has a tube magazine and isn't a bolt action. It's legal for smallbore cowboy rifle. You can use a Lyman 17A up front and a Williams FP sight that clamps onto the rimfire dovetail on the receiver.
Yep, I've 2 of these I bring to my local match for loaners/backup purposes.

Dicks Sporting Goods, Academy, and others frequently put them on sale for $150-170, but I found both of mine locally used for under $120... I traded a brick of 22LR ammo for one of them. Triggers aren't great from the factory, but can easily be cleaned up to the 3lb range... Older/well used ones usually need a buffer block replaced ($10 from Midway or Brownells). Most of the parts and even entire trigger groups can also be bought cheap from them or found on eBay, RFC, etc.

They'll consistently shoot 2-1/2 to 3" groups at 100 using CCI MiniMags, Fed AutoMatch or 510s. Williams FP-GR-TK rear sight (same as the Henry Frontier) and a shorter Lyman 17 on the front.

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

On it! Thanks, guys!
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

First SBCLA gun. Shot it because it was what I had. Shot several 30's with stock front sight and marble bullseye rear. Trick is to clean the trigger up and find the ammo it likes.... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

cedestech wrote:First SBCLA gun. Shot it because it was what I had. Shot several 30's with stock front sight and marble bullseye rear. Trick is to clean the trigger up and find the ammo it likes.... :)
Thank you, sir.... I would guess that is as cheap as one can go, and I need cheap...... how do you "clean the trigger up?" Spring kit? Any tricks I should know?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

There are some write ups on RFC if you dig around. If I remember correctly it was a combination of springs and cleaning up the trigger.

The rifle you have is always cheaper then the rifle you have to buy. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

I did a google search of this rifle and I see semi-autos. Is that correct? I thought CLA guns have to be LA?
-Mark
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Smallbore cowby rifles don't have to be lever action rifles. They can be lever, pump or semi-auto as long as they have a tube magazine. Check out the current NRA Rifle Silhouette rulebook here, specifically section 3.1.3 on equipment.

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... r-book.pdf
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Any lever action, pump, or semi-auto rimfire rifle
with a tubular magazine.

from the rulebook
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

you beat me Jason, I took a phone call in the middle of posting........
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

You're right, I shoulda checked it. Interesting that semi-auto with tube mag's are OK to use.

Still has to be open sights, though...

Spotting scopes NOT allowed...

Are the silhouette vests allowed?
-Mark
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Sights; open, receiver or tang. You need to read the rules; see Jasons' link...............