Browning Bl-22

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Browning Bl-22

Post by ppkny »

Anyone using a Browning BL-22 FLD, Grade II Octagon 24" for SB Cowboy Silhouette ? I would be interested in comments.
Thanks ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Browning Bl-22

Post by snaketail2 »

I had one - it was my first smaller rifle. The issue is the trigger - it is quite heavy. Crisp, but heavy and difficult to work on. I loved the rifle, it was accurate as everything, it fit me well and I moved from unclassified to AA quite fast. Then I got a 39A and have not advanced...must be the gun!

If you find a gunsmith that can work on BL22s then you might have something. It is not drilled and tapped for sights, so you'll have to use a "rimfire" claw mount for Williams sights.

Very nice rifle, but the trigger is the downside of the Browning.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

snaketail2,
Thanks I'm using a Henry Frontier currently and it also takes the dovetail top mount Williams rear sight so that's not a problem. I had a 39a but seems it was to sensitive to what position the gun was in when you were working the lever to load. I would like to go back to a longer barrel like the 24" the 39a has or this Browning.
Anyone else have any experience with the Browning ?
ppkny
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

I will be trying mine out for the first time on silhouettes this weekend. I have the 20" grade II version. The trigger was 8.5lbs when I purchased it. I had to change the sear geometry a little bit and smoothed it out but got it down to a nice 2.5lbs. My 20" is pretty light but i'll shoot what i've got. I really like the short lever throw.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Emietenkorte- Did you do all the work on the lever portion of the trigger? Or, did you have to go inside the rifle?

I'm considering going back to a lighter weight rifle and my BL22 20" was perfect. Maybe I should go back to the Browning - if the clean up and dressing can be done without going "inside."

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

I did go inside the rifle. Most of the work is done with the action parts. I didn't do anything to the lever. Here is a picture of the hammer and sear after I took them out, that is where most of the work took place.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Finally !! Someone with some Browning experience. Is that a simple thing to accomplish on the Browning ? I'm accustomed to the simple Marlins, but the Browning has been a mystery to me so far. Thanks for posting that pic.
Just Be Nice **==
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Thanks guys, very helpful so far.
ppkny
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

It wasn't too difficult. It took me about and hour in total. I think the hardest thing was sliding everything together and making sure the ejector and ejector spring stayed in the correct spot. The sear to hammer engagement seems to have a hook that takes a lot of leverage to disengage it. I changed the angle on the hook a bit and polished it up. Works great!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Wish I'd seen this two years ago. I'd have kept the little Browning if I had.

Thanks,
Michael
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Hi ppkny I running one of these here in Australia and getting great results ,had a local legend do some work on the trigger and this rifle is shooting the house down for me...
Have gone from shooting 14, 8 months ago when I started this bag to shooting AA and even a AAA/30 score last month with this rifle...

I couldn't be more :D :D :D with this little gun feels much nicer than my 94/22 to shoot IMHO

I'm Loving it \m/ :-bd :-c
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Well I think my first venture into lever action was a success using the Browning. It was definitely a bit challenging with it being so light but at least we don't have much wind at Pe Ell. I was able to squeak out a 35/40 with a 10 on chickens and pigs. Shooting the browning definitely made my 8.5lb hunter rifle feel heavier! It was great fun!! Now to find a pistol cartridge lever gun.... good thing my wife doesn't read this forum hahaha :D
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Guys, Thanks. I'm currently checking on price and availability right now. This gun doesn't seem to be a common stock item. For my PC gun I'm shooting a Rossi M92 24" Octagon Barrel in 357 caliber and having great results. Very smooth action on the gun.
ppkny
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I'm picking up my Browning BL-22 Octagon next week and looking for info on what front sight (Lyman17a Globe) height anyone has installed. I'll be using a Williams FP-GR-TK dovetail mount on the rear.
Any info would be appreciated.
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

ppkny wrote:I'm picking up my Browning BL-22 Octagon next week and looking for info on what front sight (Lyman17a Globe) height anyone has installed. I'll be using a Williams FP-GR-TK dovetail mount on the rear.
Any info would be appreciated.
ppkny
Mine was the very small version - so your rifle may be different.
I used the medium height 17a and the same Williams dovetail mount. Worked well for me. (I still use the Williams GR on my 39a with the same front sight...I have a tip-off mount on the receiver with the Williams GR sight mounted on it - yes it is legal - passed inspection in Raton.)

I wish I had read this thread before I traded it off - the trigger was heavy and I felt it was holding me back (just an excuse I later discovered). If I could have had the weight/feel of the BL-22 with trigger of the my 39a I think (again my perception) I would have had a real winner. The BL-22 fit me very well and the 39A is an "it'll-do for now" fit.

Keep us posted on the results of your new rifle. Mine liked AutoMatch, but AutoMatch has changed since then.
I recently shot with Tommy Perry who had great results with Eley Force, 42gr High-Vel bullets.

Michael