Changing from Right-Handed to Left-Handed

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Changing from Right-Handed to Left-Handed

Post by snaketail2 »

I can give you a long explanation why I'm doing this, but lets just say "Its because I have to."

So have any of you ever changed from right to left handed shooting? Any major issues to overcome? (I'm already left-eye dominate, so thats good).

The alternative is to invest in new rifles that are significantly lighter (might be fun, but expensive).

Anyone ever make the change?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Changing from Right-Handed to Left-Handed

Post by psteiger »

I shoot right handed sometimes, it's just a matter of remembering the basics and practicing. And I have to keep closing my left eye to make my brane switch to my right eye. Since you're already left eye dominant, it's just a matter of commitment. Good luck

p
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

Karoly Takacs
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

AMB wrote:Karoly Takacs

I'm sure than means something, but it is lost on me. Enlighten me.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I see. Thanks for the link.
I didn't have a grenade go off, but my left arm has serious trouble supporting the rifle now.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Michael
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

psteiger wrote:I shoot right handed sometimes, it's just a matter of remembering the basics and practicing. And I have to keep closing my left eye to make my brane switch to my right eye. Since you're already left eye dominant, it's just a matter of commitment. Good luck
p
If you ever switch teams and start shooting righty I would be interested in some of your lefty rifles Pat! Like that 1827F. For instance ;)
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

I switched early in my brief hunters pistol career. Scores went way up once I got my dominant eye behind the sights. Added benefit was that I found my weak hand finger was less inclined to jerk the trigger. I continued on lefty when I picked up the rifle. How to switch? Just do it. With practice, you'll find it easy to flip back and forth.
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Post by emmettva »

retinal surgery 5 months ago same switch necessary. Luckily was also left eye dominant. Trick is to acquire muscle memory--and same level of strength-- in unused left shoulder. I used several heavier single shots for some practice sessions to acquire lefty muscle memory and muscle tone and trigger control. Alternated with lighter leverguns and gradually built up stamina and flexibility in left y muscles and joints (left shoulder separated 3 times over the years) Was very fustrating at first after having (I think) a steady righty offhand. Still working on not firing until rifle is at rest and AND a ggooodd sight picture--just be patient and wait for it to all come together for each shot --it does happen even to a noob lefty.