Question on Loads being used

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Dallashdracer
Unclassified Poster

Question on Loads being used

Post by Dallashdracer »

I am new to CLA and was curious as to loads others are using for Center Fire Cartridge
in 357 and 45lc. I see so many loads for the standard 30-30 but was curious if anyone
was having luck with these other 2 calibers.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Question on Loads being used

Post by Tlee »

Dallashdracer wrote:I am new to CLA and was curious as to loads others are using for Center Fire Cartridge
in 357 and 45lc. I see so many loads for the standard 30-30 but was curious if anyone
was having luck with these other 2 calibers.

It's not 100% reliable on rams on every range or day, (but neither is a 30-30)... However the 357Mag can be a good dual purpose PCCLA/CLA rifle, IF it has a tight enough twist rate to shoot a 180-205gr Boolit fast enough for the Rams (meaning it's feasible for a Marlin or Henry with a 1:16 rate, but unlikely with a Winny or Rossi which has a 1:30 rate).

Some very old threads (but still relavent) on the subject of using a 357mag for CLA are within the following links:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7547
and
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5838

My wife's CLA gun (and my backup CLA gun) is a Marlin 1894 in 357 using a 158 or 160gr jacketed projectile with LilGun on Chickens, Pigs, and sometimes Turkeys, and then a 205gr Gas Checked lead Boolit on Rams (and turkeys if there's wind), also with LilGun.

-Tim

PS - I've zero experience using a 45LC, but I do recall a guy used one at the nationals several years back (and shot black powder!) but it took a LONG time for the Boolit to reach the ram and it required the use of a tall vernier tang sight to achieve enough elevation for the Turkey and Ram.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I started shooting with a Rossi .45LC. It will take a 200 meter ram, but you have a rainbow arc trajectory and that is very easily blown off course. A 230gr bullet will work, a 255 even better - and it requires a higher arch to get there.

The Rossi was good for Pistol Cartridge, but the 30-30 is much better for the long range stuff. A .357 is better for Pistol Cartridge than it is for the larger targets - although I have knocked down rams with 158gr bullets moving at 1250fps...it all depends on the club where you shoot.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

You can use Pistol calibers on long targets but it's not a easy path to success. Other day I had my 1894 Marlin 38/40 with me on our clubs HP Silhouette range. 200 meter ram swinger can be hit with some consistency but 200 G short 40 caliber bullet is very wind sensitive. Pistol cartridges are at their best to 100 yards.

Boats