Newbie looking for rifle advice

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
wildbillcody
Unclassified Poster

Newbie looking for rifle advice

Post by wildbillcody »

Looking at trying the smallbore lever class. I have been shooting a 10/22, but I want to try the lever, and a great excuse to buy another rifle.

SO if I was to buy a new rifle, I really like the Golden Boy or the Octagon Frontier model from Henry, or an old used Marlin M39a.

Which one is typically more accurate? They both run around $400-$500, but the Marlin has some collectablility that I would have to pay for. Also you hardly ever see a used Henry on the market, is it is because they are that good, I have only held two and shot one, it was a slick little rifle.

TIA WBC
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Newbie looking for rifle advice

Post by glen ring »

One of the best shots I've ever seen used an old pump .22 for a national Championship. I have shot with a guy in Arkansas that shoots an old remington semi-auto and does VERY well. Find a good , legal, .22 you like and find what it likes to shoot. Put on some good sights, slick up the trigger and you'll be on the level with anyone.
Just Be Nice **==
wildbillcody
Unclassified Poster

Post by wildbillcody »

Thanks, I am kinda partial to the lever guns. I know a guy at the last match was using a old Remington pump, he was really slaying them.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I'm partial to marlin lever guns, but I'm always looking for that old pump gun with good sights to play with. Jeanne had a Remington 572 that we spent money on trying to get it going and it was a waste of time. I've never encountered a Marlin 39 that wouldn't shoot pretty good. The targets are large. Lon Pennington used an old , beat up pump gun that I think his grandfather gave him....and he spanked a lot of good shooters with it. He told me once that the gun was made in 1906...and I asked him if he'd bought it new. He has a great sense of humor.
Just Be Nice **==
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Henry Frontier hands down biggest bang for the buck. You give up a little barrel weight that you'd get with a 39a but the action is butter smooth and the one I bought for my son is BY FAR the most accurate lever gun I have played with. 1/2"ish at 40, 2"ish at 100 yards.... They are easy to sight, easy to get a good trigger.

39A are very hit and miss. I have had a few that shoot acceptable for this game but it's a crap shoot whether you get a good one or not.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

WILD BILL

The results from the last several years at the Nationals show Marlin 39a the hands down favorite at Cowboy Silhouette...especially among those that win. Get any good , legal .22 you like, but take it from the winners, Marlin 39as rock. Come to Oklahoma City and shoot with us if you are ever in the area.
Just Be Nice **==
wildbillcody
Unclassified Poster

Post by wildbillcody »

Thanks I might, I looked at a Henry the other day, and I was surprised how nice the action was and the trigger. I would rather buy a gun that shoots better than I can, then buy a cheaper one that I can upgrade later.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I am strictly speaking for myself here but when standing up swaying on the wind looking at your iron sights it's hard to find a gun that doesn't shoot better than I can...... :oops:

Love my ancient 39A.... :-bd
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

What about the BL-22 with the 24" barrel guys :?: :?: :?:
I have one and it shoots like stink IMHO :ymhug: :ymparty: :twisted:
wildbillcody
Unclassified Poster

Post by wildbillcody »

Well, I found a 39a made in 1950, the stock and handgaurd have been replaced by someone with some beautiful wood, too bad they carved a Cougar in the side of the stock.

I will probably replace the stock one day, and I want to get a Marble tang sight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildbillcody
Unclassified Poster

Post by wildbillcody »

Lf side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wildbillcody on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Oh Yea..... :-bd
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I'd shoot it just like that... then if your hooked ad sights and fix pull and check weld if needed.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

what manufacturer is the sight? It looks like a Lyman 56 or a Redfield. Either way you scored because you got a Ballard rifled barrel and a good receiver sight. Lyman 56 with target knobs sell for upwards $250
- Joe
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

So, what years was it that has Ballard barrels?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.