Not enough elevation with Williams receiver sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Not enough elevation with Williams receiver sight

Post by Number10GI »

I mounted a Williams FP-39 TK target knob receiver sight on my Marlin 39a and installed a Lyman 17AHB front globe sight with a .404 height. At 40 meters the rear sight is elevated as high as it will go. Any higher and the elevation screw comes out of the rear sight base. The 17AHB front sight is the shortest I can find. Is there a fix other than reinstalling the factory front sight?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Not enough elevation with Williams receiver sight

Post by glen ring »

We had the same problem. I installed a different post in the front sight and added a long Williams elevation screw in the rear sight.
Just Be Nice **==
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

We found a solution to this to be a dovetail cut between the two factory front sight screw holes. The short lyman globe and any receiver or tang sight work well with this setup. You can also use the factory rear with this set up and return the factory front sight ramp over the dovetail if you want to take it back to original configuration later. A gunny will charge a tiny bit :D to cut the dovetail.
T
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I have the Lyman 17AHB front globe sight with a .404 height and the Williams FP-39 TK target knob receiver on my 1955 39A. Had to go with the long elevation screw to get on target after the Turkeys (Rams). With the long elevation screw I can go about a 1/2 turn lower than Chickens and go way above Rams before the screw is all the way out.

My buddy running the same setup had to cut the long elevation screws about 3 threads to get it down far enough to get on the Chickens... Still leaves plenty of threads for the Rams.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Number10GI »

Today at the range shooting silhouette with a friend, who is a pretty good gunsmith, I asked about taking off the front sight ramp and milling a dovetail and he agreed that would work. His only concern was altering the rifle from original. The 39a isn't a one of a kind collectable so is this really a concern as to affecting value for resale?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I am sure that would work if you don't mind cutting the gun and the expense...

Or...

Brownells
11525 FP TARGET KNOB LONG ELEV SCREW
962-157-240WB
Target Elevation Knob, Long
Mfr Part: 11525
$7.99

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

THE LONG ELEVATIOB SCREW WAS THE WAY TO GO FOR US .I DIDN'T WANT THE DOVETAIL CUT ON THE BARREL.
Just Be Nice **==
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

get the long target elev knob for the williams sight. that is what i did with the same setup.
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

I agree with the long elev. screw, but be prepared to have to trim a few threads off to make it work right. Simple answer to your dilemma.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Number10GI »

Thanks for the advice and information. After thinking on it more I don't want to have a dovetail cut into the barrel.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

The long screw seemed awfully wobbly so I had the dovetail cut. Much more stable imo.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

There is another option if you happen to have a friend that can do a little mill work on a 17A globe sight. You start with the tallest 17A that Lyman makes. I believe it is the 17ATC, and is somewhere around 0.852" in height. You do need to determine what height you need the finished sight to be, which can be done using the original ramp and bead as a reference. Next, you measure your barrel diameter, it should be one of two sizes, then have the aforementioned friend mill the bottom side down to the correct height. Once that is done, you will need to drill a hole in the top of the sight large enough for a small screwdriver. Then drill the correct size hole in the bottom section of the sight and countersink to accept the correct screw for the ramp mounting screws. One screw is all that is needed to secure the sight, as the contour of the bottom will not allow it to move once tightened down.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Lowering the the front sight has the advantage of lowering the sight line and effectively raising the comb.

My dovetail cut front sight Match 39a handles better than my original 39a with the front sight ramp mounted. Everybody may not like a stronger cheek position, I do.

Easy way to test before milling is remove the front ramp. Put two zip ties in its place opposing and wrapped together tight for a temporary front, I use a fly tying bobbin, tape works,just as well. Set the rear sight to suit the way you want your head position. Cut the front down with wire cutters to zero & see how it feels. Measure and fit the new lower front same height.

Boats
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I would suggest that you pay close attention to how low you can go with your front sight- with a rear receiver sight - and still get the rear low enough to sight the gun in at closer distances.

The lower the front sight the higher the POA. On MY rifle If the front is any lower than it is now I will not (I don't think) be able to get it on target much under 40 yards.

If you completely eliminate the factory front ramp - lowering the front sight at least .250 - it makes the "problem" much more apparent...

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Merlin, I would agree with your statement. With my front ramp gone I am only up a half dozen clicks at 40 meters. I certainly couldn't sight it in at 50 ft. But I made the change so that I could use this gun for this game, I don't really care about anything closer. I guess I would have to use kentucky windage.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.