Mild factory 44mag loads?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Mild factory 44mag loads?

Post by SqHunter »

Can you reccommend a milder factory load for the 44mag? My wife and I are signed up for the TN state cowboy silhouette matches, but will have to use her 44 deer rifle for the pistol cartridge match. Don't want to use full bore 240s if we can help it but have not seen anything else offered locally. Thanks!
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Mild factory 44mag loads?

Post by Grizz61 »

Between 5 to 6 grains of Tight Group with either 180 or 200 grain bullets should work well. You could probably even use the 240s.

I use the 6 grains with a 200 in 44-40 for 1025 fps muzzle velocity.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Grizz61 wrote:Between 5 to 6 grains of Tight Group with either 180 or 200 grain bullets should work well. You could probably even use the 240s.

Thank you, I wish I could try that but I don't reload. Are there any factory loads that have similar performance?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

SqHunter wrote:
Grizz61 wrote:Between 5 to 6 grains of Tight Group with either 180 or 200 grain bullets should work well. You could probably even use the 240s.

Thank you, I wish I could try that but I don't reload. Are there any factory loads that have similar performance?
HSM makes a 200gr 44mag ammo intended for Cowboy Action (SASS) shooting rated for 970fps in a pistol, that'll probably run 1100ish in a rifle. I've seen it available at Cabelas and SportmansGuide.com. Might also see if anyone in your area can recommend a local selling SASS loads... Often local guys will load similar round for their club members.

Might also be a good time to take up reloading... For the cost of 4-5 boxes of ammo you could "roll your own" pretty cost effectively.

- Tim

PS - UltraMaxx is another well known Cowboy Action ammo, but I've only seen 44mag available with a 230gr Boolit. There may be others with a 200gr, but HSM is the only one I know of with it.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I looked at the program and it looks to me that they are just shooting small bore cowboy at that match. Am I wrong? Just wondering.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Tlee wrote:
SqHunter wrote:

HSM makes a 200gr 44mag ammo intended for Cowboy Action (SASS) shooting rated for 970fps in a pistol, that'll probably run 1100ish in a rifle. I've seen it available at Cabelas and SportmansGuide.com. Might also see if anyone in your area can recommend a local selling SASS loads... Often local guys will load similar round for their club members.

Might also be a good time to take up reloading... For the cost of 4-5 boxes of ammo you could "roll your own" pretty cost effectively.

- Tim

PS - UltraMaxx is another well known Cowboy Action ammo, but I've only seen 44mag available with a 230gr Boolit. There may be others with a 200gr, but HSM is the only one I know of with it.
Thank you, I will look those up.

I would like to take up reloading, but this will be only our second time shooting the CPC match and I am not sure how much we will like it. The first time we shot it with our .22s and rang a bunch or rams, so we thought we would try a bit bigger bullet for the state match. I'd like to get a .357 instead of wearing out our old .44, but have not found one yet. Working three months of overtime doesn't leave a lot of time for shopping around though :D
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

44 mag wrote:I looked at the program and it looks to me that they are just shooting small bore cowboy at that match. Am I wrong? Just wondering.
The first match of the day is the .22 Cowboy lever action match, and the second one is the Pistol Cartridge match. It is new this year, I think when we shot it in April it was the first time it had been shot there. The State Match in August is the first time that will be offered too.

I think Dale has a listing to the state match somewhere on here, if not you can look him up on the CRC website. They should have a couple of regular matches this summer prior to the state match but we won't be able to make it because of work.

They are a great group of folks, I highly recommend the trip if you can get down there. Very family oriented. Lots of kids, even wives and daughters who shoot. My wife gets tired of being the only girl in camp, so we really appreciate the family atmosphere at CRC. I'd retire to Chattanooga just to shoot with them if I could. :)
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

SqHunter wrote:
44 mag wrote:I looked at the program and it looks to me that they are just shooting small bore cowboy at that match. Am I wrong? Just wondering.
The first match of the day is the .22 Cowboy lever action match, and the second one is the Pistol Cartridge match. They will let you shoot the second match with a .22 as well but I don't recommend it, we rang a bunch of rams. The PC match is new for CRC this year, I think when we shot it in April it was the first time it had been shot there. The State Match in August is the first time that will be offered too.

Dale has a listing to the state match somewhere on this website, if not you can look him up on the CRC website. They should have a couple of regular matches this summer prior to the state match but we won't be able to make it because of work.

They are a great group of folks, I highly recommend the trip if you can get down there. Very family oriented. Lots of kids, even wives and daughters who shoot. My wife gets tired of being the only girl in camp so we really appreciate the family atmosphere at CRC. I'd retire to Chattanooga just to shoot with them if I could. :)
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

SqHunter wrote:
SqHunter wrote:
The first match of the day is the .22 Cowboy lever action match, and the second one is the Pistol Cartridge match. They will let you shoot the second match with a .22 as well but I don't recommend it, we rang a bunch of rams. The PC match is new for CRC this year, I think when we shot it in April it was the first time it had been shot there. The State Match in August is the first time that will be offered too.

Dale has a listing to the state match somewhere on this website, if not you can look him up on the CRC website. They should have a couple of regular matches this summer prior to the state match but we won't be able to make it because of work.

They are a great group of folks, I highly recommend the trip if you can get down there. Very family oriented. Lots of kids, even wives and daughters who shoot. My wife gets tired of being the only girl in camp so we really appreciate the family atmosphere at CRC. I'd retire to Chattanooga just to shoot with them if I could. :)
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I don't know where you are located but in most cities, at least that I am familiar with, there are local reloaders that set up at gun shows. You might be able to talk one of them into making you some mild loads with a light (160 to 200 gr) bullet. If you are pushing them rather slowly you can use lead bullets.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

the tennessee state match in august is smallbore only. there is three pistol cartridge matches this year and they all have been shot. the remaining cla matches in chattanooga will be smallbore unless the match director add some more pistol cartridge match later this year. if you reload send me a pm for some cla pistol cartridge 44 mag loads.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

frankmako wrote:the tennessee state match in august is smallbore only. there is three pistol cartridge matches this year and they all have been shot. the remaining cla matches in chattanooga will be smallbore unless the match director add some more pistol cartridge match later this year. if you reload send me a pm for some cla pistol cartridge 44 mag loads.
Really? That is unfortunate, I was using the state match as an excuse to shop for a 357:)

I don't reload yet, but thanks for the offer.
hugh
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hugh »

Or you could shoot some 44 Special loads in it.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

in the chattanooga area you can get several cla pistol cartridge matches during the year. around 12 cla pistol cartridge matches this year. (about the same with smallbore) brock's gap training center in hoover ala has them every other month. they have two more left for the year. they do smallbore the other months. they shoot it during the ala state match. chatuge rifle club in north georgia has four more pistol matches this year (five total). chattanooga had three this year. the match director is thinking about adding the pistol cartridge to next years tn state match and during all smallbore matches. so now is the time to start looking for a rifle to use and start making your loads.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

You sir are an enabler! :)

I never knew how rare .357 Marlin's were, nor how expensive. Ouch!