Marlin 39A Magazine assembly

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Prof
B Poster
B Poster

Marlin 39A Magazine assembly

Post by Prof »

Has anyone replaced the barrel on a 39A, 24" heavy barrel, with an octagonal 20" barrel? My concern is the magazine tube assembly on the original and whether I'll need to replace it with a comparable assembly with the new 20" octagonal barrel.

I've checked the Numrich website and can't find any magazine assembly specifications. Any help would be appreciated.

-Prof
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Marlin 39A Magazine assembly

Post by boats »

39A I like is the 24 inch heavy but,

Had a Marlin 1894 32/20 bought from a Cowboy Action shooter, It was the one with a short forearm length tube. He had put a longer magazine tube on the gun. Had to re-set the hanger toward the muzzle. Used a dovetail filler in the empty hanger slot. Sold it so can't look at it now, this from memory.

I have cut down factory and with aftermarket tubes, spliced on and extended several shotgun magazine's it's not real hard to change tube length. 39A you could shorten from the action end and if the new barrel is cut for it, use the hanger off the old barrel. Or you may have to cut the new one for the hanger. Far as the brass tube it's fixed on the muzzle end with a cross pin. Same one that turns into the outside tube to lock in place. You would have to take it off and shorten the both the tube and spring. Action end is crimped so the follower stays inside the tube.

Without ever doing a 39A, I think it can be done fairly easy. Lot easier if you could buy the brass tube and only alter the outside blued tube.

Boats
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

For reference, the NRA silhouette rules section 3.1.3(a) says this:
Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels re-bored to a larger caliber are allowed.
My interpretation of that is that the barrel must be the original one that came on that rifle. If you only shoot local matches and the match director does not care, then you may not need to worry about this rule. If someone protests you or the changed barrel is noticed by a match director who cares, you may be disqualified from a sanctioned NRA smallbore cowboy rifle match. There are many who have gone through great lengths to make an existing barrel shoot better or paid to have an existing barrel relined due to this rule.

I only know of one shooter who has replaced a barrel and he got questions about it at a local match but was allowed to shoot that day. He didn't shoot it at a match again that I can remember, and he never went to a big lever gun match like the nationals. Hopefully this might save you some frustration in the future, or will at least let you make an informed choice.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I was not going to say it but,

Changing a 24 inch 39a barrel for a 20 inch is the wrong thing to do if competition is the intent. Violates the rule and ruins the rifles handling.

Boats
Prof
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Prof »

Thank you all. I read the rules and they are clear. FYI, the 20" barrel I received will NOT fit the model 39a. The breech-face cuts look similar but vary significantly (in case anyone had the inclination to try this).

I am still interested in replacing the barrel with the exact same original from Marlin. It doesn't look promising as I've exhausted my searches and will likely replace the rifle with a different toy; moreover, if anyone has an extra barrel lying around, I would be delighted in speaking to you.

Regards,
-Prof
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

The change of barrels that are the same manufacturer ( marlin to marlin, winchester to winchester etc.) should be 100% Legal. If the interpretation of the rules is that the gun MUST maintain the barrel it had originally then MANY marlin cowboy conversions would be in jeopardy. If it says marlin and it's on a Marlin you should be good. This topic was discussed by a shooter and Greg Conner at a past national and Conner didn't see anything wrong with it.
Just Be Nice **==
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

The economical and well proven thing to do is re-line. One of my original Marlin 1894 CLA rifles had a terrible bore, Re-lined it shoots like a new gun. No changes to sights magazines or anything. Lining is legal under the rule and impossible to detect without strong magnification

Boats
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Here is Larry Potterfield of Midway USA in a video about relining a .22LR...wish I had his shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7sQya7tyk
Looks easy, if you have the right tools.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I think I could line one, one day might buy a beater 22 and give it a try . It's not expensive to have it done by a pro and considering the intended use is match shooting, better to get it right.

Boats.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

boats wrote:I think I could line one, one day might buy a beater 22 and give it a try . It's not expensive to have it done by a pro and considering the intended use is match shooting, better to get it right.

Boats.
Agreed - but would still like to have Larry's shop (and money).

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Prof
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Prof »

In looking at the bore's chamber and the various cuts/recesses/threading etc., the idea of relining sounds problematic, not to mention expensive. My barrel's problem is the the groove where the extractor claw enters has chipped at its very edge--the chamber's entrance. This chip causes fired cases to bulge at the base and thus get stuck in the chamber (extractor fails to hook onto rim of case and simultaneously pull it out).

I've tried about ten different types of ammunition--from cheap to high end match grade--and this problem is consistent for all. The extractor has been replaced (and adjusted), as well as the ejector and leaf spring.

Now, the extraction issue occurs in about every one of five rounds, which for casual shooting may not bother me (I lie), but I bought this rifle, redid all of the walnut, replaced the cracked white spacers in grip and butt-plate with real brass from billet for a more presentable appearance (I'll try to attach some photos of my handy work) and for use in our cowboy matches at Ft. Bliss. The hangups really mess with my mental game and have caused an occasional alibi. I'm very proud of the finished/restored rifle, but I hate having to worry about stuck cases. I sometimes use my Henry 001 to compete as it actually shots right up there with the Marlin in accuracy. The Marlin is just too pretty of a rifle to sit in the safe waiting for a barrel to pop up somewhere.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

A reline includes new chamber and extractor cut. It's the cure to your problem . Google John Taylor Machine Gunsmith. He's done relines for me and several friends. John explains the process on several forum sites. I hear good things about Redmond too, have never used them .

Boats