What rear sight is most used on the Marlin 336

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

What rear sight is most used on the Marlin 336

Post by Number10GI »

Is it a tang sight or receiver mounted? I looked at a picture of a 336 with the tang sight and it looks like it really interferes with gripping the stock. I had a Williams receiver mounted target sight on a Marlin 39A and had a hard time using the graduation markings on it for distance changes.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: What rear sight is most used on the Marlin 336

Post by frankmako »

at the three different clubs i shoot at the williams rear sight is use by most (98%). there might be one or two tang sights at the most at two clubs. my home club it is all williams sights. but the williams is number one. yes the williams adjustment system is not the best. i use tape with lines marked for my settings. the williams marks are small and hard to see for me. the last two williams sights i got in the lines were not painted good to be any use. i got some very old williams sights and they are made better, but still have the same small lines and same old click system.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Most often used or best ? Sight controls every shot, not a good place for poor equipment. Put a dial indicator on most of the new made sights run through the clicks, you won't trust them after. Poor marking another problem that can cause misses.

Redfield 75 in good condition will repeat correct settings as you work from animal to animal. Vernier tangs repeat better than click sights but many interfere with the Marlins bolt. I used a MVA vernier for a while. Bolt cycled ok had to remove the sight to get the bolt out for cleaning. MVA's Marbles style clears my two Marlin 1894s fine. Adjustment is ok not as good as the Redfield 75 I use on my 39a or the one on the 36a I sold recently.

All opinion though somebody else may think otherwise.

Boats
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Interesting, I was told the Redfield sights were not legal for Cowboy silhouette. Is this no longer true?

Everyone at our club uses the Williams sights if it matters, and at least our examples have proven pretty reliable.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Redfield's have been ok for 3 years or so. They don't work any better than a Williams but are made of steel. And they're better made. Neither one has a precision means to dial in the sight setting. And in the end you have to be confident the sight is properly dialed in for the target distance. I've seen shooters use a hand held dial micrometer to confirm the setting. I use a magnifier to set mine.

The best sight is a Lyman 56 that has long been discontinued.
- Joe
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Problem with most of the new click adjustable sights is the alloy construction. I used a Lyman 66 for a while, it has a stop screw to set base zero. Problem is the bar hits the screw then bends as you click. Does not go down but the dial says it does. Friend of mine using Williams made up a stop block filed to suit CPTR settings. Same thing the sight hits the stop then bends

Try this & see if your sight does what it says. It may or may not. After seeing the results and NRA acceptance of the Redfield 75 I sold off my Lyman 66's

You can improve the Redfields settings by adding a small dot of paint over the "0" mark. Makes it easier to come to a specific graduation without making errors. I always read the setting with a small pocket magnifier never count clicks.

But it's a choice, I want all my misses to be hold misses, none sight setting errors.

snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

For more exact sight settings: http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... -rifles-1/
And get the front sight card for a sharper sight picture.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:For more exact sight settings: http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... -rifles-1/
And get the front sight card for a sharper sight picture.
Michael

I've one of those that I use on my 30-30 for a long range "side match" and the Buffalo at NRAWC, however I have to fold it down between shots in order to open the lever/bolt. Otherwise, the Williams FoolProof works great for CLA, IMHO.... It's not like we're shooting at MOA sized targets.

Just another .02,

- Tim
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I put a tang sight on mine, but I'm taking it off and putting on a williams. The tang sight has to be folded back some between shots because the bolt hits it. If you forget to push it back to center thats a miss. It also forced me to change my grip, I like to keep my thumb just off the top instead of a full grip. SO I'm going to switch to the williams FP TK. I have one on my 39A and it works ok.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I had mine installed by Lee Shaver. It does not interfere with the operation the bolt. Maybe you need a different gunsmith.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I find the unsophisticated nature of CLA to be its greatest attraction, so try not to get too excited about the nuances of gear for it. However, just this weekend I missed three Rams in a row before we figured out I did not count up correctly. There is something to be said for a more reliable way to verify settings, and those tang sights may be it.

However, most of my misses are because my vision has blurred and I can't see the target any longer, and no amount of fancy sights will help that. God bless young eyes! :D
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

snaketail2 wrote:I had mine installed by Lee Shaver. It does not interfere with the operation the bolt. Maybe you need a different gunsmith.

Michael
Gunsmith, whats that? Nah, I did it myself (with the help of a machinist friend).The problem with mine is the sight is already as far back as it can go and still let my hand in there. Can you take a picture of yours with the bolt all the way open? I'm curious how to possibly set it back any further.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I'll send you a photo, but it will be a couple of weeks from now. Leaving tomorrow for a Texas vacation. Shooting, then fishing, and maybe some BBQ I've already warned the folks in Corpus to be on stand-by

Maybe this will help - I shot with a guy Sunday who had a Marble sight mount very far back and he was only using one screw to hold it in place. He used the front hole in the sight and an extended mounting bolt/screw that was torked down (not advising you do this, but the position was correct for his rifle.

Michael
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Ok, have fun on vacation!

If I moved the sight back like that my big ol mitts wouldn't fit around the stock. Meh, I'll write it off as a failed experiment. Maybe some other time I'll get a different tang sight.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Most tang sight shooters lay their thumb alongside the stock. Can't recall seeing anybody using one with his thumb wrapped around the stock.

When I pick up a shotgun or heavy recoiling rifle wrap my thumb around. Target rifle,offhand, lay it beside the sight or hammer. Never think about it no matter how it's sighted Tang Receiver or Scope, part of the position. Not telling anybody how to hold their rifle, just that's what most do with a target gun. Anschutz position rifles had a thumb rest right side.

Big issue with tang sights on long action lever actions is bolt interference. If you can get around that problem a good Tang sight is a joy to use. I gave them up on my 36a In favor of a Redfield because of bolt interference. I use simple tangs on one of my 39a's and two PC 1894's Lyman 1a & MVA Marbles. My other 39a carries a Redfield 75. It's a very good option for any Marlin if you want Precesion adjustments and read-ability .

Boats