estimated velocity for rams

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

estimated velocity for rams

Post by rr1220 »

shooting a 170gr 32 caliber jacketed hornady is 1900 fps enough for rams?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: estimated velocity for rams

Post by Tlee »

Definitely... maybe....

It'll work 90-95% of the time, depending on the bullet construction, the wind, where you hit them, etc...

Theres more than velocity involved in the equation.

Here's an old thread, still relevant, on the subject;
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10054

Since my post in that thread I've since lost probably 3 rams total using a similar load to what you described, only using a gas checked 173g Bullet cast a bit soft coming out of the mold at about 180-182g. In all those lost Rams the wind was to the backside of the target blowing into our face.... And it doesn't take much wind to do it.

I've actually lost more Rams with a jacketed Bullet running 2000-2100fps than with an 1800fps lead bullet, but your (and others) experience may be different. I do know I never lost a ram with a Sierra jacketed 170g bullet, but lost 4 one weekend with another vendor's 170g, even with horn and high body hits. However finding the Sierras consistently was sporadic and I now use the lead bullet instead (plus I hit a LOT more of them due to less recoil, IMO). I'd rather hit them and lose a couple than shoot a load that has so much recoil that I hit fewer.

My .02,

- Tim. :ymcowboy:
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I agree "maybe, maybe not" try it and find out. Read the above mentioned thread, take in to consideration where you shoot, plan to shoot and condition of the targests. My philosophy is shoot as much bullet as you can, as fast as it will go accurately..within reason. Especially if your only shooting .30-30 or something comparable. That being said with my build, health and disposition, recoil with a .30-30 class cartridge is a non-factor. I want to hit all of them and lose none of them. I do shoot 170 Sierra's around 2000 - 2100 fps unfortunately I have dinged some. But, "C'est la vie". Al Bean
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What I have noticed is it seems more to do with the actual rams foot construction and stand construction. If it's a large pad on a flat stand and tilted in some.... everyone will get some ringing.... Like anything, you have to hit them first... then worry about what is going to knock them over. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I run my 170 gr ram load at 2,000 fps and haven't lost one....yet. I've used Sierra and Speer bullets with good results. This is a marginal load IMO. I ran the ballistics thru JPM ballistic calculator and in theory it's putting 1.10 lb-sec momentum on the ram which seems to work at my club and at nationals.

It's really important that the load is accurate at 200 meters and you're confident in it.
- Joe
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

shot rifle/load in match yesterday 9/10 rams fell, very pleased
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

What was your final load?

Did 9 of 10 hit Rams fall? Or did all fell that were hit?
- Joe
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

24gr h 4198 under hornady 170gr@ 1900fps
All rams fell that were hit with wet rails while raining
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Nicely done!
- Joe
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Got a new load for rams and hope it will knock them down. I use 158 gr xtp jhp over 11.o grs of n110 with wspm primers. Average vel is about 1200 fps. Hope it works for I am using it at the Eastern Regionals. My setting is the same for turkeys using a 125 gr xtp jhp with 6.5 grs of n320 with wspm primers and taper crimp. Oh yeah this is for 357 mag.