Neck sizing dies for Pistol calibers

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Neck sizing dies for Pistol calibers

Post by boats »

Think I am going to get CH4D to make up a neck sizing die for my 25/20 & 38/40 Marlins. Standard short body die will probably need a little modification to size short case necks. One body ought to be able to handle any bottleneck 1.3 inch case by switching out the sizing rings. That's the objective, mailing them fired sized and bullet seated dummy cases to measure.

On the phone they said while altering they could make a few others if needed. Only need to open the stock short neck sizer up a little bit to work. Makes no cost difference to me but if anybody is interested could order same time. Factory dies intended for jacketed bullets over size cast bullets. Neck sizer makes for less bullet deformation. Want one let me know, will tell Dave wait for your brass & he can run them together.

Note it's not going to address crimping that's needed for tubular magazines. Thinking about a Lee Collet crimper,if the seated bullet wants to move.Cross that bridge when I come to it.

Boats
Renco
Unclassified Poster

Re: Neck sizing dies for Pistol calibers

Post by Renco »

I have a Neil Jones Custom Products bushing die for my 25-20. His quality is excellent. He will make special bushings for about $13.50 each. I bought a bushing with the 16'34' shoulder angle and .300 ID to use as a first step in sizing 32-20 brass to 25-20 brass. When I use this bushing first I have never lost a piece of brass, annealed or not.
Renco
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

They work very well. I use a CH4D neck sizer for 25 Kraig, 32/40 38/55 & 40/65 one die different size bushings.

CH4D stock short body die may work with 25/20 & 32/20 they are not sure it will clear the bottleneck . Sending cases to check if not they will modify so it does. Want the same body to size 38/40 mecks too. Less you work the brass longer it's going to last

Neil Jones is a good guy used him years ago on HP Silhouette rifles. No doubt his die is a good one

Boats
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Sorted out my 25/20 sizing problems. In case anybody is interested

Factory Lyman die set was over sizing the cases. No doubt intended for a .257 Jacketed bullets. Loading .259 cast, the die over sizes, works the neck more than needed and is difficult to seat the cast bullet without damaging. You can open it back up with a “M” die make it fit, but the overworking remains. Likely cause of neck splitting & 25/20 brass is hard to find.

Have used CH4D’s ring neck sizer in the past, several larger cast bullet cartridges, good solution to the problem. They come in 3 lengths, shortest needed 1 inch of case before the bottle neck starts. 25/20 32/20 38/40 all have about .80 case before the bottle neck.

Mailed Dave at CH4D a fired case, sized case, dummy cast bullet loaded case and couple of my bullets. Open up the inside of his smallest die not a easy thing, but length was off only .2. Dave cut .25 off the outside bottom thread instead. Ring itself you have any possible choice., We figured .272 ring sizer giving about .002 neck pull would bring the case down to where it needed to be for secure easy loading with minimum brass working and still provide enough neck pull to work through my Marlins Tubular magazine with bullets in place.

It’s working fine. Sizes the neck enough the bevel base bullet is a thumb push fit to start seating. Regular Lyman Seater die brings it down to correct O/A length. Have it backed off no crimp and no neck sizing, it’s only pushing the bullet down. 5 in the magazine no movement of the bullets at all.

Best of all Dave only charged me the list price for the sizer die. No extra for modification or his expertise. Good guys to deal with.

Boats