Optics for a Williams rear sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Optics for a Williams rear sight

Post by snaketail2 »

At my last match I saw a fellow who had a lens screwed into the forward part (front side) of his Williams FP sight. He said it was to help him see the front sight. I know this is allowed in the rules, but where can I find them? Anyone know a mail order supplier?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Optics for a Williams rear sight

Post by cslcAl »

Michael

Do a search for Bob Jones Optics. He is in Phoenix.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Al - close, but no cigar this time.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Team Sierra Member
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

You can also get the Merit Disc rear aperture that you can put contact lens in. I was using these before I had my cataract removed. They worked great for me as I used colored lens for different lighting conditions. I don't need them anymore and would be willing to part with them.
I have 3 set up with +.25 diopter lenses. One clear, one rose, and one yellow.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Either one a good solution. Short of going to Anschutz or Gheman style arpetures only solutions I know of.

Boats
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I've been using the Merit lenses system for awhile and it works great for old eyes. You order the lenses housing from Merit Corp.
http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html and the optics disc from B Jones in phoenix, AZ.
The phone number for Jones is on the Merit web site. You have to call, there's no way to order the lenses from his web site. Just tell him you have a Merit housing. Depending on your vision correction he offers .25, .38 & .50 magnifications. .25 seems to work the best with clearing up the front sight and not making the targets to blurry.
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks all - this is valuable information.

Michael
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

I'm a bit late with a response to the original post, but my solution for the "old eyes" problem is to use an ordinary Williams aperture (I used the twilight type which has a nice brass insert) milled out to be able to press fit one of these http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... 44975.aspx Made it permanent with some Loctite 290 Wicking Grade type thread locker. I have a buddy who has a very well equipped machine shop.
I can't say that it will work for you but it has transformed my sight picture, to the extent that I can see the rings of a ISSF 50mtr target at 100mtr without my corrective lenses. And no, there is no magnification.
The fellow who made the originals describes it as "phased zone plate" technology, but to me it looks something like a Fresnel lens. Whatever, it works.
And, considering the original price, they can only be described as a bargain now. If you do go down this route, be careful that the hammer doesn't make contact with your nice new optical aide :oops:
If you can't see it, you might as well be shooting in the dark. This may go some way to enlightenment :)

49er