32 winchester special

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

32 winchester special

Post by rr1220 »

anyone shooting this caliber for centerfire, if so I am looking for some light 150gr cast loads and 170gr ram loads for recent purchase of Winchester model 64 32 ws
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 32 winchester special

Post by cslcAl »

I started shooting this game with a 94 Winchester 32 Spl, that has been in my family for over 100 years. I never shot any cast with it, but with a 170 jacketed bullet I used 28.0 grs of Reloader 7. It shot very well, and I never lost any Rams.
This caliber is limited in both bullet weights and vendor avalability.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

As I understand it and from memory, .32 WS was intended for shooters that wanted to stay with cast bullets when the 30/30 came out. Twist better for lead at modest speed and could still handle HS Jacketed. If anybody wants to know for sure could research it and give you the history from old books and manuals.

Anyhow cast bullet shooters always like 32 WS guns.

Boats
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I shoot a M94 in .32 Win Special that shoots just fine. I really need a cast load. I can only find 170 gr cast bullets in .321, and I have zero experience with, and zero luck getting a cast load to shoot worth a flip. I do not have access to any old books and manuals. I would very much appreciate any information for a good cast load for chickens, pigs, and possibly turkeys. I have been having to use jacketed bullets for all.
Thanks Al, I will try your load as soon as I find some Reloader 7.
I really want to go to the CLA Nationals this year, but can't afford to prepare for, and shooting the local matches, shooting nothing but jacketed bullets. I am also scrambling around gathering up .22 mags, but is looking like I'll have enough.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Will look up some loads & post tomorrow . Disclaimer I have never loaded 32 WS will post from manuals not experience .

Boats
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Straight from the manuals will be Great! I do have about 40 years of experience loading jacketed bullets. Thanks a Heap
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

a fellow shooter turned me on to this site
Lever Gun Performance Studies - GMDR.com

www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

That's a good site will bookmark it,

Townsend Whelen's "The American Rifle " 1918 gives the cartridges history. Not exactly as I recalled. He said it was introduced for Shooters who wanted 30/30 performance with Smokeless powder and jacketed bullets but could still reload using Black Powder and cast bullets. 2112 FPS factory Jacketed bullet loading 1 /16 twist (30/30 had a 12 inch Twist)

His lead bullet loads used powders no longer available however he has a load of 15.2 of SR # 80 recommended. SR 80 is not the same powder as IMR 4759 which replaced it but performs similar grain for grain. 15.2 of SR # 80 gave 1450 fps. With IMR 4759 discontinued many cast bullet shooters have switched loads over to Hodgdon's 4227 again about grain for grain. That's a lot of guessing but I would start with 12 grs or so of 4227 checking the crono up to velocity.
That site RRL posted gives about 1400 as max velocity with Cast for good reason.

Whelen’s Bullet recommendation was Ideals 321232 cast 1/10 which is very hard. 170 grs .321 inch 1/10 tin lead is not going to be easy to find. Personally I would just use Oregon Trails 170 G .322 bullet before buying molds etc. little oversize is a good thing when using smokeless powder

Velocity is the problem though. Cast plain base bullet is going to be limited to about 1450 FPS. That's how fast I push my 32/40 cast bullets in a Schuetzen Rifle 1500 feet they cause trouble. 1450 is fine for CPT not going to knock over all the Rams. If you gas check it my 30/30 - 30/1906 and 30/40 experience says 1600 fps is a practical maximum. You can go faster but lot of potential problems. 1600 fps works fine no issues. It’s still not going to knock over Rams. Personally I don’t worry much about Ram knock down, Hit all 40 knock over half the rams you still have a very good score. Soft shooting rifle will hit more targets. If you are top level can't afford to lose one it's another story.

Other manuals, Sharpe's Complete Guide, Matten's and the Lyman Cast bullet handbook about the same data. Many show lower velocity loads with fast pistol and shotgun powders like Unique Red Dot Green Dot. I would work with 4227 over the pistol powders.

All opinion take it for what it cost.

Boats
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I would try a hi-trek cast bullet from Missouri bullet company to avoid issues with cast lubes and leading. They're advertised to be 0.321" but I'd bet they're .322 or larger from the coating. I'd get the sample pack and measure to see for yourself. The 25 cal bullets I've tried were larger than advertised.

I like Reloder 7 for its reduced load accuracy, but it does tend to burn dirty. Really accurate. I use it for carbine bullets in 30-30

Guys are using 4227 but stuff the shell with Dacron to position the powder against the primer. The way to get around that is to use trailboss or a shotgun powder.
- Joe
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

To you all. Thank You for sharing the info you have. Before I had no clue, but now I have a direction I can find a suitable load. Danny.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

We = single shot rifle shooters, I shoot with, use a lot of 4227, Lot of the data and articles from the 60s and 70s Recomended fillers but nowadays it's rarely used.

Adds a variable that impossible to control with any precesion, and a very real chance of ringing a chamber. Some years ago ASSRA member using a rail gun In 32/40 ruined a number of chambers with fiber fillers for a article he was writing. Cut the barrel off re chambered and rang it again number of times to prove the potential danger .

Now its my preferred cast bullet mid velocity powder, single shots or levers , never with fillers. Many ASSRA bench rest records have been set with 4227

Boats
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

"Ringing" a chamber is a new term for me, I've never heard. I am terrible curious to learn more.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

We're getting off the original topic,but I'd like to know more about chamber ring.

Competitors are using 4227 and stuff the hull with Dacron.
- Joe
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Not suprising, lot of guys use fillers, NRA's old cast bullet handbook recommends fillers as do many other manuals from the 60's and 70's However pull up ASSRA.COM (American Single Shot Rifle Assoc). Go to the forum and do a search on "ringing" You will read a whole lot about rung chambers. Looks like a round "dimple" or ring around the whole chamber, they start small then grow, First thing noticed is hard extraction. More likely in older soft steel barrels less likely with low pressure loads. Charlie Dell fellow quoted below was the one who tested with a sacrificial barrel on a rail gun and could ring a chamber on demand using higher pressure loads.

Here is his quote and a link to one of the threads

"
It’s not the wad or what the material is, it’s what the wad does. When the wad is down on the powder it shapes the charge into a plug of pressure. When the powder is allowed to slump in the case it changes the shape of the charge. It is particularly effective when the powder is allowed to slump at the rear of the case. Lighter charges may not produce enough pressure to cause a ring with some modern steels. Charlie Dell’s work suggests that most chamber ringing is the product of small movement over a couple of thousand rounds not one event.

"

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB. ... on=search2

Reason people like the idea of fillers is to keep the powder same positon in the case shot to shot. That's a good idea all the low velocity loads with any powder are less than case full except Trail Boss or Case full of black powder. However if you mount the gun same way every shot the powder is laying in the case same way every shot. That's better for consistency than fillers. How can we figure our how much Dacron to add to the case, so light it's hard to weigh, Some fibers are bulkier than others, can we be sure it's stays in the case same place as the cartridges are carried. Too many variables. Filler can never be as consistent as no filler.

Not trying to talk anybody out of anything if you like fillers go for them. I used them too many years ago.

Boats
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

I was told the same thing about mounting the rifle the same each time with the reduced pistol powder loads which for this game is something to be done anyway. I have just completed my first loading of 150gr cast over 8.5, 9, 9.5, and 10 gr of unique to hopefully test Sat. I also want to try some vv n340 when I can get some. Next up is 170gr jacketed hornady over h 4895 and some varget loads both for rams, have to find what shoots well then figure out sight settings,I am not sure whats more difficult shooting the targets or working up loads and sight settings