22 mag: improving accuracy

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

22 mag: improving accuracy

Post by rr1220 »

I started shooting lever action PC last year using a 9422m and federal 50gr, started in a class and by the end of the year had made aaa.
when at the range getting better sight settings my 100m groups were 4-5", not good enough anymore if I want to shoot upper aaa or master. I know some will say to change caliber and others know that some rams are lost due to caliber choice which in fact is true, though for the most part the ones I hit fall. Back to my original concern, accuracy. I can say that I need to hit all targets more consistently and that all starts with consistent ammo.
So after having shoulder surgery and being off for the winter as well as having read everything I could find about reloading 22 mags on here and elsewhere I decided to give it a try, consistent accuracy being the goal, here is where I am going to start
TESTING @ 25 YDS SILHOUETTE SIGHTS
Federal 757 50gr 1500 fps .686 group
load#
1- factory ammo with bullet reseated @ 1.375 oal 1480 fps 1.0 group
2-factory load with sierra 45gr @ 1.375 oal 1430 fps .706
3-federal case with 6.5gr lil gun federal 50gr @ 1.375 1344 fps .618
4-federal case with 6.5gr lil gun sierra 46gr @1.375 1384 fps .58
cci 40gr hv 1910 fps .556 group
1-factory load 6.5 with sierra 45gr @ 1.375 oal 1860 fps .558 THESE 2 LOADS REQUIRE FUTHER TESTING
2-factory powder 6.8 gr sierra 45gr @ 1.375 2090 fps .325 AT DIFFERENT DISTANCES FOR
FOR MATCH USE

I am planning on getting to the range this week and check velocities and group size afterwards I will post my results.
Any member here that has went through this process for whatever reason I would sure like to hear any and all results, you can never have to much information. again I know my caliber choice is marginal but my goal is more accurate ammo, I will take losing 1 or 2 rams a match if I can consistently take all other animals. :-ss
Thanks in advance for any info or assistance
Last edited by rr1220 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 22 mag: improving accuracy

Post by Jason »

I also sent this to you as a reply to your PM, but I believe that 22 Mag rifles are built with barrels with appropriate twist rates for the loads most commonly used, which are 30 to 40 grain bullets going much faster than those 50 grain loads that you are using. That results in a much slower twist rate than is optimal for the loads you are using and likely explains the poor accuracy. Many of us have gone through this same scenario. I currently use the 40-grain Federal 737 loads for CPT and use the 50-grain Federal 757 loads with upgraded powder charges for rams. I previously used the CCI TMJ loads for CPT but got a bit better accuracy from the Federal 737 loads that I bought when I couldn't find the CCI TMJ ammo anywhere.

I'd strongly suggest that you try other loads for CPT if you are not doing so already, as I think you're likely to get much better accuracy from lighter/faster loads and you don't need heavier bullets for anything other than rams. You might also consider using a more accurate load on rams until you find a good 50 grain load. If you make every shot perfectly in the center of each ram, your 4 or 5" group might hit all the rams and have a better chance of knocking them over. If you don't make every shot perfectly, it's better to actually hit where you're aiming and have most of them fall than not hit some of them due to poor accuracy. :)
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 22 mag: improving accuracy

Post by rr1220 »

TEST RESULTS ARE ON ORIGNAL POST