Barrel legnth

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Barrel legnth

Post by chuck d »

I have always used a Win 94 with 26" barrel. But I really like my Marlins in 20" Will I give up anything, except sight radius going with the shorter Marlin?

Thanks
chuck
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Barrel legnth

Post by hermit5 »

Chuck,i started out with the 20" marlins in 30-30 and 357.They both shot great.At the time the CLA ram animals were set full foot and hard to knock down.So i moved to longer barreled 30-30 for more velocity and powder.That didn't work any better.Then to long barrel in 45-70& 300gr bullets and wouldn't you know it rule change on animals to topple point.Now i am working my way back to 30-30.
Longer sight radius might be of some advantage to some folks but not all.The only thing you maybe giving up is the cowboy kool factor and expense.
My advice to any beginners is shoot what you got and can afford and move on to bigger and better when and if you need to.
"Better to have shot and not got,than not to have shot and not got"
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

You're giving up the benefit of mass and momentum steadying the rifle. A heavy rifle wiggles less. But It's also harder on your back and requires more core muscle tone for good control and follow thru.

Stick to fundamentals and it won't matter which gun you shoot. Shoot what you're comfortable with and have confidence in.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Also the obvious. Heavy rifles will shoot softer. I shoot hot loads out of my Winchester 94 26" hex barrel and while it will beat you off a rest, off hand it really isn't that bad. Used to shoot a carbine 336 and it had much more pop. I don't think the sight radius is a "big deal" but my CLA scores are always a couple animals higher then SB or PC. That could be a factor of the relative ease of the short line because of animal size though.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Chuck, When I first started I was shooting a 26" Winchester and shot my way into master class with it. Then I decided I wanted to try my wifes 20" Winchester and the first match out shot a 38 and ended up shooting it all year. I went back to the 26" just because it held a bit better site radius did not bother me a bit. Now I am shooting a 24" Winchester and really like it. If you like the 20" better than by all means shoot it. Mike