Pump and Semi Autos

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Pump and Semi Autos

Post by snaketail2 »

In Small Bore Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette we can shoot lever action, pump or semi auto rifles, as long as it is tube fed. I’m curious how many shoot pump or semi auto rifles in competition – and what sights you are using.

I found a Winchester model 62 pump at a Local Gun Shop. It is in very good condition, but it isn’t a black rifle so they want to move it out…might make a fun silhouette rifle. I’m thinking it might look good with a Lyman or Marbles tang sight.

Any thoughts?

Michael
win62whole.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Leupoldd1
Unclassified Poster

Re: Pump and Semi Autos

Post by Leupoldd1 »

Michael, my wife uses a Winchester 61 and routinely shoots 30-32. The gun is very accurate with CCI Mini-Mags, and the trigger is really good. I used a Model 63 made by Miroku for quite a while before switching to a 9422 Legacy. The 63 shot very well, but the trigger was rather mushy. Al F. shoots a Winchester 61 with a great deal of success. I have to say that the majority of shooters I've seen shoot levers, but I think it's fun working with different guns to see what they shoot well. I also enjoy trying them in competition. I've used a Model 62 as well. It's not nearly as good looking as the one you found, but it shot okay. I never added a sight to it because of the cost, and it's a bit light. I'd go for it though. A tang sight would look very classy in my opinion. At the worst, you spend some money and time shooting up some .22 shells. That's not a bad thing, ever. At best, you find you have an outstanding shooter on your hands. You have me thinking I might just need to find a tang sight for my gun. Could be fun. It's certainly cheaper than buying a Remington 121. Matt
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I looked at a couple of pumps today. Not much tang on them (if there is a tang at all) - I see this as a problem for mounting a tang sight.
I'll keep looking and perhaps find the "right" one. But for now I can see this is a bit of a lost cause.

I've had bad ideas before, but caught this one before it cost me anything.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Model 62's are collectible. If the price is right, I'd say give it a go. If it doesn't work out, it wouldn't be hard to move.

I've been tinkering with a 1928 Remington Model 12 that I inherited. I installed a Lyman R12 tang sight on it and looking forward to trying it at one of our local matches this spring.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I shot the first year with a Marlin 60, Marble Bullseye rear sight. Shot a 30 with it a couple times. One of Tims loaner rifles is a 60 with FPTK on the rear. Completely capable.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

we have a guy that uses a very old pump to shoot cowboy small bore with. he shoots in the "aa" class or higher each match. no special sights just the ones that came with the gun.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne shot a Remington 572 pump for a few years. We had a dovetail front sight put on the barrel and a Williams sight that clamped to the scope rail on the receiver. A trigger job and it was ready. It's not as accurate as a good Marlin 39, but it's SO much fun to shoot. I shoot it occasionally with a fiberoptic front sight. It's really fun to mow down pigs as fast as you can pump it. Use whatever legal 22 you like and have fun. If shooting silhouette were a job there wouldn't be so many big bellys on the line.
Just Be Nice **==
ALPHAWOLF45
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ALPHAWOLF45 »

I shoot a Marlin 1892 levergun that I built by copying an original I inherited from Grand dad ..I also inherited a Mossberg model K which is in bad shape with sewer drain bore and bit loose at the joint where takedown is accomplished.. But I think someday I will fix everything wrong with it and shoot a match or two with it.....The only thing though that I may have trouble getting used to is the very short pump action to extract and load shells- being accustomed to shooting a pump action shotgun , the .22 pump just feels too weird.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

"If shooting silhouette were a job there wouldn't be so many big bellys on the line."

Hey, I've lost more than 20 pounds since the 2015 regionals - No more big belly here (lets hope it stays that way).

Michael
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Good Job Michael !! I need to lose 20 and I'll be back on track.
Just Be Nice **==