zeros different for different shooters?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

zeros different for different shooters?

Post by SqHunter »

Did a short experiment at the range yesterday afternoon and discovered that my wife, who is just slightly over 5 feet, shoots about four inches higher at chickens than I do with the same setting. Is this because I am taller, and have a different head position at the aperture? We were using the lyman 17a with circle insert, so I don't think it was a question of six o'clock hold. If this is normal then we will need another gun :lol:

It is a little bit stressing, as when we started out with smallbore we both shot the same CZ 452. I am thick chested so can actually do okay with shorter lop, so I can usually shoot her rifles. These cowboy rifles seem to be different though.
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Re: zeros different for different shooters?

Post by twidpa »

The sight settings may change due to the way the individual holds the rifle. Cheek or shoulder pressure and follow thru will make an individual print different groups than another individual. The relationship of how the sights are set and the spot where the sights point downrange should stay the same for the rifle regardless of who is holding it. Experiment with a 25 yard paper bullseye target. Both of you shoot from a bench then shoot from standing unsupported and see what that reveals.
T
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I see this frequently (no pun intended).

Sight picture, cheek weld, color of your eyes (not kidding), etc... It all has some affect on sight settings, particularly in varying light conditions.

My son and I shoot practically the same metallic sight settings with rifles, but are at least 4 MOA different on our T/C pistol metallic sight settings... Both using Williams Foolproof peeps and regardless of front sight.

On certain days my wife and I shoot completely different sight settings (at least 3-4 MOA)... On others, we vary less than 1-2 MOA.

- Tim
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

My wife and I also use different settings when using the same gun.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne hardly ever lets me shoot her guns , but when she shoots mine the POI is different for her.
Just Be Nice **==
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

yes, been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. when me and the wife were shooting all the pistol silhouette matches we found out that we could not use the same gun/sight adjustment. i have to buy her own guns for the matches.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

:shock: :D Guess I should have expected this. After all, she had to have her own tractor, chain saw, and pair of deer rifles too :D

I hate having to have a collection of rifles to compete, but is a blessing to get to share the experience with someone who is equally interested in the sport.

Thanks for your help!