Cowboy Rimfire for a lady?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Cowboy Rimfire for a lady?

Post by SqHunter »

What would you recommend for a lady to use to try out Cowboy Silhouette?

We bought a 1950s era 39a but it seems unbalanced to her. I wanted to get her a Mounty, but she was scared the short barrel would be detrimental to open sight use. Do you find this the case in reality? And if the Mounty is out, what else is out there?

Thanks!
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Cowboy Rimfire for a lady?

Post by Tlee »

My wife felt the 39A was a bit too nose heavy for her. Henry Frontier H001T octagon barrel is a better fit for her. We also ordered a stock from a Henry H001Y youth model and that helped as well.

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

You might try searching for an 1987T Texan. 20" octagon barrel, straight stock, might be a suitable compromise. I don't think the 39A is balanced well and the 1987 Texan might be the answer...but, you'll need deep pockets.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

try the henry h001. it seems to be balance more that the 39a and other guns with heavy/longer barrels.
JohninNH
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JohninNH »

Don't be afraid of a Mountie. I started with one as that was what I had and with a Marbles tang I had no problems shooting into the mid 30's. I ultimately ended up with a 39A for the extra weight. Maybe my scores would go back up is I switched back. :)
Good luck.
John
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

My wife prefers her Henry H001T Frontier over my 39A. It's a great little gun that's easy to set up for silhouettes.
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Both my wife and my 12 yr old daughter are shooting a Winchester 9422 and 9422M in pistol class both shoot well over 20 every time :D :oops: :D
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I went to a Henry Frontier last year after my old 39a started having finicky loading problems. You won't find a slicker action than the Henry. There's a Williams rear sight with a mount that fits in the dovetail to complete the package.
ppkny
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

For the Henry Frontier, a Lyman 17AMI front globe sight pairs well with a Williams FP-GR-TK receiver sight. We use Lee Shaver inserts in our 17A's and a .050" aperture in the peep sight.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We have handled the Henry rifles before, but never shot one. I was afraid they may not have reliable precision, but there must be something to them if so many are shooting them for this sport. Might need to order one for Christmas :D
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

SqHunter wrote:Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We have handled the Henry rifles before, but never shot one. I was afraid they may not have reliable precision, but there must be something to them if so many are shooting them for this sport. Might need to order one for Christmas :D
I'm a certified "Marlin snob"... I love my 39A, 1894, and 336A... However my wife and son have multiple Henry Frontiers (H001T & H001TM) and love them. Although I usually shoot a 39A in SBCLA, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the Frontier in a match as I actually favor it over the 39A for "critter gitter" duty at the ranch.

With the demise of Marlin/Remington's support and product quality/reliability, The Henry Frontier is a cost effective alternative to hunting down a good used Marlin. It's accurate using just about any ammo (the Remy Yellow/Gold junk is the exception), easy to work on, and the parts availability & factory support is second to no one. IMO, most corporations (firearms or otherwise) could take a lesson or two from Henry Repeating Rifles on how to support customers and foster a brand loyalty!

Just another .02,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Last edited by Tlee on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

Nothing wrong with a Mountie. I shoot Master class with a 39 Mountie. I find no advantage to a 24" barrel over a 20". Having good sights that are comfortable to the shooter and an adjustable rear aperture are more important to me. You cant hit what you cant see.

Nothing wrong with a Henry either. The Henry Frontier has the same 20" barrel length as the Mountie but the Henry is lighter.

Jay
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

SqHunter wrote:Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We have handled the Henry rifles before, but never shot one. I was afraid they may not have reliable precision, but there must be something to them if so many are shooting them for this sport. Might need to order one for Christmas :D
We have 3 Henrys and they all shoot sub-1" groups at 50 yards off sand bags. They are actually more accurate than my 1958 39A which has been shot very little.

The only reason I shoot with the 39A is because I'm very tall and it seems to balance better for someone my size.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

CamP wrote:
We have 3 Henrys and they all shoot sub-1" groups at 50 yards off sand bags. They are actually more accurate than my 1958 39A which has been shot very little.

The only reason I shoot with the 39A is because I'm very tall and it seems to balance better for someone my size.
That's surprising, but good to hear. I have had a couple of 39a's over the years and only remember one that could do that. I still love the things though :D
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I LOVE the Mountie I bought for my grandson. It's very accurate and , unless you're a master, I doubt you'll give up anything with it. I am also a Marlin snob Tim, but I have been looking at the Henry , Octagon pump 22lr for small bore.
Just Be Nice **==