Exercise for silhouette shooters

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Exercise for silhouette shooters

Post by snaketail2 »

Suppose a lever silhouette shooter you know got laid-up in the hospital for some time. Long enough that he needs to retrain his muscles – those that hold the rifle on target.

What would you suggest?

Would seem a shame to waste this opportunity to get back into shape and improve muscle tone in his shooting position.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Exercise for silhouette shooters

Post by Tlee »

Check your PMs...
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I would get some free hand weights. Pairs of 5, 8, 12, 15 pounds

Work the shoulders, arms, chest, and back. Go light weight, 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I mean really light so that you get thru the exercise without strain. Then wait 2 days to see how sore you are before repeating or increasing weight.

I also recommend getting on the floor and doing push ups, planks, crunches, and squats. And walk daily. work your way up to 2-3 miles a day.

Do all this your hold will be AAA or better
- Joe
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I have found that weight and aerobic workouts really don't help my shooting much to speak of from a pure technical perspective. The only way to get those muscle groups in shooting shape is to shoot and dry fire. However, what I have found is that good overall fitness helps my endurance and mental approach, I highly recommend it in addition to mental imagery training. CLA Silhouette is a mental game not a precision game. I've seen a lot of guy's hobble up to the line putting a cigarette out on the way and kick butt.

With out knowing your specific situation I wouldn't make out a work out plan, but you can never go wrong with as edgehit mentioned light weight workouts for shoulders and upper back, working the core in addition to light aerobic exercise such as walking, hiking etc. Al Bean
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Back home now and trying to follow Edgehit's advise. Freezing temps are a downer, but the treadmill is working well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

One of the things about offhand is it's very important to know your stance. It's critical to NPA and repeatable point of impact. Best exercise for body position and control is Yoga. Nothing complicated just basic. Advance level Yoga lot of breath and mental focus exercise

What you don't want to do is tell the instructor you are taking yoga classes to Improve your shooting.

Boats
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

boats wrote:One of the things about offhand is it's very important to know your stance. It's critical to NPA and repeatable point of impact. Best exercise for body position and control is Yoga. Nothing complicated just basic. Advance level Yoga lot of breath and mental focus exercise

What you don't want to do is tell the instructor you are taking yoga classes to Improve your shooting.

Boats
Actually Yoga is what some of the college team shooters use as their warm up so don't be embarrassed to say it. B-)
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I'm with edgehit. Exercise will make you a better shooter. When I'm in good shape I feel better and shoot better. Buds my age swear that rolling around with a busty young woman half your age will increase your heart rate , make you lose weight and keep you feeling young and broke. Jeanne says I should just stick to walking and lifting weights.
Just Be Nice **==