Front sight base for Marlin 39A

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Front sight base for Marlin 39A

Post by SqHunter »

What combination sight base works with the Lyman 17a front sight?

My wife and I would like to try Cowboy Silhouette in the Spring and have bought a Marlin 39a to try out. I have a Lyman rear aperture and a Lyman 17A front sight. However, the the factory front sight base is too tall to zero and an additional shorty ramp I have on hand is likely low enough, but it does not fit the profile of the barrel. I have not shot it yet with this last set up, however.

Do you end up buying an aftermarket ramp or do you mill the factory ramp? If it is best to buy an additional base, which one?

Thanks for the help!
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Front sight base for Marlin 39A

Post by twidpa »

For my 39's it works well to mill the barrel between the sight ramp screws to accept the shortest 17A. It makes it easy if you want to return to factory sights.
T
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Post a picture of your front sight. I have 2 and both use the lowest 17a on the factory base.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I am at work so can't post pictures, but I think I remember that the front sight is a 17AHB model. What version do you have that works with the factory ramp?

Did you have to get a different slide or scale for your rear sight too?
Last edited by SqHunter on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Would anyone know first hand if the slides on the 66MC and LA are different? I think my rear sight is for an 1894. On the 39a, it will zero at chickens but not rams with the 17AHB in the factory base.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

twidpa wrote:For my 39's it works well to mill the barrel between the sight ramp screws to accept the shortest 17A. It makes it easy if you want to return to factory sights.
T
I had thought of that, but did not want to modify the rifle to that point. I might have to mill a front sight base though.

Will call Lyman today to find out the exact difference in the rear sights, bit might be that an extended elevator could be found which would simplify things.

Thanks for the help!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I had to take off my ramp and cut the barrel to mount the 17a directly to it. Ran out of elevation in the rear williams sight I had. Works great directly in the barrel.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I have a Lyman 17AHB front sight installed in the stock ramp, with a Williams FP-39-TK rear sight. Once I installed Williams optional long elevation screw, the setup works perfectly on my 39A. The nice thing is the longer elevation screw bottoms out on chickens so even if I mess up in the middle of making adjustments between chickens and rams, I can screw the adjuster all the way down and find my bench mark with my eyes closed.

BTW, I find the Lee Shaver large bead reticle works much better for silhouettes than the stock Lyman 17A inserts. Well worth the $20 for the Shaver sight card.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

CamP wrote:I have a Lyman 17AHB front sight installed in the stock ramp, with a Williams FP-39-TK rear sight. Once I installed Williams optional long elevation screw, the setup works perfectly on my 39A. The nice thing is the longer elevation screw bottoms out on chickens so even if I mess up in the middle of making adjustments between chickens and rams, I can screw the adjuster all the way down and find my bench mark with my eyes closed.

BTW, I find the Lee Shaver large bead reticle works much better for silhouettes than the stock Lyman 17A inserts. Well worth the $20 for the Shaver sight card.
Interesting. I have the shaver card of reticles but have never used the one you mention. The main reason I wanted to mount the 17ahb was to use the circle reticle, but options are always nice.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

SqHunter wrote:
CamP wrote:I have a Lyman 17AHB front sight installed in the stock ramp, with a Williams FP-39-TK rear sight. Once I installed Williams optional long elevation screw, the setup works perfectly on my 39A. The nice thing is the longer elevation screw bottoms out on chickens so even if I mess up in the middle of making adjustments between chickens and rams, I can screw the adjuster all the way down and find my bench mark with my eyes closed.

Interesting. I have the shaver card of reticles but have never used the one you mention. The main reason I wanted to mount the 17ahb was to use the circle reticle, but options are always nice.
I have a fiber optic insert I ordered from the marketplace that fits the 17ahb.

I don't think the circle reticle is legal, the rules say bead or post only. Not that anyone has ever checked mine, but then again I never shot at nationals. Here is the rule from the rulebook.

. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as
originally intended. No Olympic type sights, or extended mounts are
permitted. The front sight must be a post or bead or if changeable
inserts, may use a post or bead insert only. A front sight anti-glare
tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments
and no larger than a 3/4” outside diameter, may be used.
Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may
not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8” in
length. In an anti-glare tube, the fiber optic material may not be any
longer than the tube or extend outside the tube. The fiber optic sights
do not need to be commercially manufactured.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

OldRanger wrote:
SqHunter wrote:

I have a fiber optic insert I ordered from the marketplace that fits the 17ahb.

I don't think the circle reticle is legal, the rules say bead or post only. Not that anyone has ever checked mine, but then again I never shot at nationals. Here is the rule from the rulebook.

. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as
originally intended. No Olympic type sights, or extended mounts are
permitted. The front sight must be a post or bead or if changeable
inserts, may use a post or bead insert only. A front sight anti-glare
tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments
and no larger than a 3/4” outside diameter, may be used.
Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may
not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8” in
length. In an anti-glare tube, the fiber optic material may not be any
longer than the tube or extend outside the tube. The fiber optic sights
do not need to be commercially manufactured.
Well dang, that throws a wrench in the plan. We shoot a fun match in Alabama with our old club that is just for peep sights, it allows the circle reticle. I was hoping to use the rifle for both types of shooting. Guess I will try one of the thinner posts now.

Does anybody use the XS Sight systems post? I have one on a hunting gun I could use. I love them in the woods, but it may be too thick for silhouette.

Thanks for the clarification, btw. Would hate to drive half a day to shoot a match and end up with an illegal gun :ymsick: