Question about triggers

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ALPHAWOLF45
B Poster
B Poster

Question about triggers

Post by ALPHAWOLF45 »

Does the NRA rules allow set triggers for this competition? I presently I am using a fine model 1892 that I built from barstock....Now I am building a Spencer in .22 ...Monstrously difficult project.. .22 LR cartridge ,Assuming I get it working with the tiny cartridge I want to also have a trigger that is mere ounces to actuate.........I shoot at Benton Arkansas. Sullivan may well be best reply since I may be eviscerating him in the future matches......I uhhh have far better than average machine shop and too much time on my hands..
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Question about triggers

Post by Cimarron Red »

ALPHAWOLF,

Yes, per NRA silhouette rules, "Any safe trigger is allowed." See rule b below; I've bolded the type.

• 3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle – Listed below are the three classes of Cowboy Silhouette Rifles. The below listed rules (a - f) apply to all classes of Cowboy Silhouette Rifles. (The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shooting competitions.)

a. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No Olympic type sights, or extended mounts are permitted. The front sight must be a post or bead or if changeable inserts, may use a post or bead insert only. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments and no larger than a 3/4” outside diameter, may be used.
Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8” in length. In an anti-glare tube, the fiber optic material may not be any longer than the tube or extend outside the tube. The fiber optic sights do not need to be commercially manufactured.

b. Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels re-bored to a larger caliber are allowed. Any safe trigger is allowed. Stocks must be of original configuration. Recoil pads, replacement buttplates, and removable cheek pieces are allowed.

c. Ammunition may be loaded with smokeless or black powder, using jacketed or cast bullets, with or without gas checks. All bullets must be round or flat nosed suitable for tubular magazine use. Any cartridge causing target damage or deemed unsafe may be banned.

d. Firing period will include a 30 second ready (loading) period, and 2 minutes for 5 shots. Ammunition must be loaded through the tubular magazine. Ammunition may not be loaded directly into the chamber.

e. Binoculars may be used for spotting. Spotting scopes or stands may not be used. Clothing that adds stability to the shooting position is not allowed. Rule 6.9, concerning wind flags will not apply. Personal wind indicating devices are not allowed in the vicinity of the competitors.

f.) Classification:
Master.....35-40
AAA.......29-34
AA..........22-28
A.............15-21
B.............0-14

Cimarron Red