Adding Weight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Adding Weight

Post by glen ring »

Do any of you add weight to your lever action Cowboy Rifles ?
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Adding Weight

Post by BrentD »

The short answer for me, is NO, but I have been wondering if it legal and if so, I have some ideas of how to do it.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

No Glen - I try to make mine lighter. I started with a Browning BL-22 and everything since seems large. The best-fitting rifle I have is a Marlin 1894 Ducks Unlimited - only slightly larger than the BL-22.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

A few years ago I ask Greg Connors about adding weight to the rifles. He said as long as it's not visible it is legal.

Jim Luke
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jim

Do you add weight to yours ? I think a little weight in the stock might help a little to balance the rifle..especially a model 39.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Glen,
I think the best place for weight would be in the loading tube. The full length tubes could accommodate a lot of lead and that would put weight where it would do the most good in slowing down the muzzle. If it is legal, I might try it. I have some left over lead wire that would work.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Brent
I added weight to the tube of a gun a few years ago. In recoil it sounded and felt like a semi-auto. It was kinda annoying so I took it out. I always ask Jim Luke because if he does it it will work.
Just Be Nice **==
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Glen, I do not add weight to the buttstock. I'm not interested in balancing the weight of the rifle. They are light anyway. I have added weight to the magazine tube as Brent suggested to make the rifle somewhat muzzle heavy. I guess it's because I shot schuetzen rifles for many years and they were all muzzle heavy. The weight will slow down the barrel movement. If you do add weight, of course, leave room to load five rounds and make sure the lead weight is tight in the tube--no movement.

Jim Luke
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Mag tube is the place for sure. I did have trouble with a New 1895 Marlin 45/70. Lead slug in the tube wanted to move on recoil. Light rifle heavy recoil. Might have been able to fix it sold off the 45/70 instead.

Boats
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day all

If you get a bunch of lead bullets,wrap them in 100mph tape and put them in the end of your mag tube between the spring and the end plug, they stay put. The tape stops them rattling and the spring keeps them out the front where you want the weight.Works well with long barrels with full length mag tube as you can still easily fit your 5 rounds in. :-bd
Taps