Best Pistol Cartritge Rifle ? ?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
scopey58
Unclassified Poster

Best Pistol Cartritge Rifle ? ?

Post by scopey58 »

Well, I have been lurking here for quite a while and have learned a lot. I have been shooting CLA for about 3 years and am in need of some help.
I started out with a Marlin 39A, and a 336A 30-30 for center fire and those two seem to be working out ok so far. Just need more practice. For my PCCLA rifle I started out with a Winchester 9422M and thats where I'm not happy.
I have gone to Raton the last two years and have been slowly improving. Now shooting AAA with all three guns. The reason for my post is what to do about the inconsistencies with 22mag ammo? At Raton, I was having a good match until ringing a pig with a dead center shoulder hit. I noticed the shot sounded different and my spotter commented the same. Have had numerous other bad rounds and don't know what to do about them. Have tried several kinds of ammo and Winchester seems best, but I think there are some real duds with all of em.
So after returning from Raton this simmer I set out after another PCCLA rifle. Found a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. I know, 357 is best, but they are very rare and prohibitvely expensive. Been working on cast loads and accuracy is getting there but even with light loads is not as easy to shoot as the 22mag.
Maybe I need to try out another rifle but don't know what. I guess if I had my choice it would be a Cowboy model 22 Hornet. Where do I get one?
John
Bill the Lurker
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Best Pistol Cartritge Rifle ? ?

Post by Bill the Lurker »

I know of no such rifle in Hornet, and even if there was, it along with the 218 Bee aren't really pistol calipers and as such, wouldn't be legal for PCCLA.
As I understand it.
scopey58
Unclassified Poster

Post by scopey58 »

Sorry, it was meant as a joke. Don't think anyone makes one either. Just wishing. The Hornet was legalized in NRA Hunter Pistol though. What I meant to convey was how difficult it is to find suitable Cowboy Silhouette rifles. Also if anyone had a solution or thoughts on using 22mag for PCCLA. I think I am losing at least 1 or 2 targets per match to faulty ammo.
John
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day from the game ranch

If you're after a low recoil pistol caliber, try .25-20 or .32-20.
Both are inherently accurate and you can get any number of decent guns in those calibers.
Load your own ammo and you have no more excuses :-bd
Taps
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I'm surprised you're having trouble with 22 mag squib loads. I've been shooting the mag in master class for many years and have never had a squib or a dud. My gun hates Winchester but loves CCI TMJ and equivalent Fiocchi - both made by ATK. As you're aware, the mag has the lowest recoil and very flat shooting. I've never rang a Raton target with it. What's not to like? Recoil is a distraction from good shooting. I'd stick with your present rifle. Maybe check the headspace to be sure it's not excessive and causing ignition problems.

That said, if you're changing horses, get a 25 or 32-20. An alternative is 32 H&R Mag. I can't recommend a 357 and a 45 is simply too much lead.

You may have to buy, sell, trade several rifles to find an old one with great accuracy. It's difficult to get 25-20 reloading components. Brass and bullets are hard to find right now. Brass is a seasonal run. It comes out once a year and when it sells out it's gone. The necks are thin and you can't get a lot of loading from the brass. But it's the closest cartridge to ideal balance between superior ballistics, knock down, with minimal recoil. Best bet may be 32-20 Winchester 92. Lots of guys are successful with them.
- Joe
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

edgehit wrote: It's difficult to get 25-20 reloading components. Brass and bullets are hard to find right now. Brass is a seasonal run.
Brass is worse than that - Remington announced they will stop making reloading components...don't care much for their bullets, but 25-20 RP Brass is the "Good Stuff."

MY 25-20 uses the same sight setting for chickens, pigs and turkeys - and I could hold a bit higher for rams an never change the sight. 75gr and 85gr bullets do the trick well - when you can find them.

Having said all this I recently bought a .357 rifle - because I can find reloading supplies for that rifle - a little recoil, yes, but nothing painful - 110gr or 125gr bullets will be enough.

.22 Long Rifle will take down "Most" of the animals it hits with the exception of "Some" rams (gee, you hit 40 animals but only got a AAA score...).
.22 magnum works well - no sight change
.25-20 little sight change, component issues
.32-20 works well -seasonal brass run
.32 H&R works well - rare rifle
.357 works well - almost no sight change for all four target distances.
Anything larger is a real boomer.
But
Finding one you like and can afford is a completely different story.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

Had a Marlin 1894 in 32-20. Phenomenal accuracy!
90 Grain Sierra, Starline brass, Fed 205 Match primer, 16.5 gr of Accurate 2015 powder. 1537 FPS
Kick myself in the behind for selling it. I now have a Marlin 1894 in .357. Made after Remington took over Marlin. Both quality and accuracy suck.
The 32-20 was/is a great caliber/rifle.
Wish I still had it.
scopey58
Unclassified Poster

Post by scopey58 »

Had forgotten about this thread till I saw it just now. I found a deal on a JM Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 357. Any suggestions on an accurate load will be welcome. Can't wait to get something going as I shot 36 with my smallbore rifle this past Sunday.
John
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Scopy:
You won't need anything heavier that 125r for Pistol Cartridge. I do move my sights, a tiny bit, but feel I could shoot all four animals without any sight change - using 125gr Hornady and 5.7 Unique.
I experimented with heavier bullets for CLA, but decided my 30-30 is still the best for that game.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I just finished overhauling a new to me PCaliber Marlin. I have a Orignal model 1894 38/40 that's a good shooter, found another just like it perfect bore in 25/20. But somebody had been inside it generally messing things up . Repaced the firing pin, couple of bugged up screws and both springs. Slick and smooth now with a very good trigger pull. Get a Tang sight it's ready to go.

If you can find a Orignal Marlin they are easy to work on and most parts are available . My 38/40s bore was bad, now relined. Either one of them less money than the new Marlins with a bonus, both rifles not carbines.

Only thing left to do is work up some 25/20 cast bullet loads. My guess is it's going to be a bit more accurate than the 38/40

Boats
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

snaketail2 wrote: Brass is worse than that - Remington announced they will stop making reloading components...don't care much for their bullets, but 25-20 RP Brass is the "Good Stuff."
Where did you read Remington will stop making components? I still see them listed?
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I spoke with Midway USA. They said Remington has discontinued the 86G bullet for the 25-20. I don't know about cases, but they are sure hard to find.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

boats wrote:I just finished overhauling a new to me PCaliber Marlin. I have a Orignal model 1894 38/40 that's a good shooter,....
I'm envious. :ymapplause:
I would love to stumble up on an old Marlin rifle even if relining was necessary.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

GregG wrote:
snaketail2 wrote: Brass is worse than that - Remington announced they will stop making reloading components...don't care much for their bullets, but 25-20 RP Brass is the "Good Stuff."
Where did you read Remington will stop making components? I still see them listed?

I wrote to Remington (about 50 miles from St. Louis) they told me that they were "getting out of the component business as soon as supplies dwindle down enough". I wrote back and specifically asked about .25-20...same form letter returned.

I would love to be wrong, but I'd also like to talk with a person who knows the answer...

To compound things I wrote to Speer about the availability of their 75gr FN bullets. This was my 2nd letter to them. The first one said "We just shipped some," but no indication where. The 2nd letter is unanswered.
A 24" .357 is taking the .25-20s place for now.

Frustrated with both Speer and Remington I am going to hord my remaining 75gr bullets and the RP cases I have. (I'll use the off brand cases and cast bullets if I shoot the .25-20 this year in weekend matches.

If you know something I don't about either Remington or Speer please share it. My .25-20 is the single most accurate rifle I have...when I use RP cases and 75gr FN bullets.

Michael
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Best Pistol Cartritge Rifle ? ?y

Post by boats »

I don't know how this Marlin 25/20 is going to shoot, be a week before I get its Tang sight in hand. No sense testing with open sights. But not even going to try jacketed bullets. No doubt they would group tighter, if cast is good enough rather stick with them than deal with supply aggravation

Be great if it delivered .22 LR accuracy doubt if it will.

On buying old Marlins. They are not easy to find, but out there. this one is my 4th PC Marlin kept trading up and selling . It helps if you can do or have done work. This particular rifle was in a pawn shop out of state. Saw it asked and was told it was listed on Gun Broker no sale until the listing expired. Quick look liked it know the shops owner gave him 100 bucks as deposit if it did not sell. He calls me, sold,off GB and next time by his shop would give me my deposit back. Go by month later and the gun was there. Shipped and returned as not functioning. Careful look bore was perfect everything inside was badly "worked on "

Bought it for what he had in it no refunds. Month calling and waiting three places about 100 bucks screws spring firing pin, it's good as new. Thought the hammer/sear had been ground bit it was just a cut trigger spring. Bad hammer hard to to find might have made it a lost cause.

Boats