Tighten them screws

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Tighten them screws

Post by ppkny »

Tighten Them Screws:
Just got my replacement Hammer Lever screw for my 1894 Win 30-30 after what could have been a very disappointing time at the Ridgway Regionals last week. Took my Buffalo Bill Win 30-30 out of the case to start practice for the CLA match and the entire lever mechanism was dangling out of the breach. After searching endlessly for the screw that held the pivot for the Hammer Lever I finally borrowed one from a extra gun another competitor had.
Lesson learned...Periodically tighten all the screws. When I got home I checked all my guns and sure enough almost every screw was loose. (okay go ahead with your puns)
ppkny
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Tighten them screws

Post by cedestech »

I've noticed the same thing on my lever guns.... Agreed, tighten regularly. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I've found that a little dab of RTV in the screw hole will hold them well without a lot of tightening---I use the same thing in my screw in sight iris' so I can change them out easily. It's fairly easy to clean up with a tooth pick or other instrument if you need to. On the Marlins, where removing the lever to clean the barrel is a frequent task, the RTV holds well and I don't have to set the screw down tight and it saves buggering up the screw slot as they are easy to remove.

Jon Carlisle
Cody, Wy.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Paul and I always thought you had a loose screw :D And Happy Birthday :ymparty:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Gpxdemonz
Unclassified Poster

Post by Gpxdemonz »

I do not have anything to recommend this over.